Berlin, so historic


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Berlin » Berlin
June 28th 2014
Published: June 29th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Today I got to wake up nice and early and check out the Reichstag, really cool inside, an elevator takes you right up and there is even a cafe, the cool thing was going up the dome and you can see right into the parliment when they are in session. I decided to also check out Check Point Charlie today and it was also amazing, an older woman walking by stopped and told me her story about the wall, it turns out her aparment was in East Berlin and her window opened to West Berlin and she talked about how the Russians blocked off her window. It was a really interesting museum, very long, it turns out a lot of these places do not allow photography sadly, I did not realize that until halfway through haha. There was a room in the museum dedicated to Reagan.

Another cool discovery was the Berlin Underworld. They had an old air raid shelter in tact and it was really cool checking out, again no pictures, but they had relics from the Battle of Berlin any many other donations. What was also cool was the Flak Bunker, you had to walk up a long time to see it, but the structure still in tact. The odd thing was the russians wanted to destroy all of the bunkers and shelters, but there were some that did not explode after multiple attempts and at the end they decided to just cover it up with rubble and dirt from the city. There are 28 man made hills as a result. They were also saying that about once or twice a year they (in Berlin) discover a mass grave for Russian soldiers.

Tomorrow to Potsdam!

Tschüß


Additional photos below
Photos: 127, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

tower of reichstagtower of reichstag
tower of reichstag

you can still see bullet markings from war
window into reichstagwindow into reichstag
window into reichstag

all panels open to let fresh air in
front lawn of reichstagfront lawn of reichstag
front lawn of reichstag

didnt realize the bushes did that until now
old reichstagold reichstag
old reichstag

the victory arch, bismark memorial and reichstag all use to be right by each other, wish it still was!


Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0467s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb