The Shapes of Berlin


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Berlin » Berlin
August 11th 2012
Published: August 11th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Sometimes when I go to a new city, I don’t expect much. This is because in general they are the same. Berlin, however, is an exception. Clean, efficient, Berlin is modern done well. Strolling the streets, I was greeted with endless sights and marvelous architecture. And the people are nice too.

Growing up in America, the Germans always had a sort of bad reputation. They were always the bad guys in movies and were most often associated with Nazism and the Holocaust during primary school social studies lessons. This reputation was not only in stark contrast to how friendly they were, but also undergirds the intriguing history and transformation that the city has gone through.

My visits to the Jewish Museum and Holocaust Memorial Museum showed a well preserved, unabashed presentation of the events leading up to the tragic death of roughly six million Jews during World War II – about three for every one person living in Houston. I was fascinated by what brought the Nazi party to power, and terribly saddened by the enormity of their subsequent campaign of persecution. Coming face to face with such inhumane treatment towards fellow human beings forces one to examine and question the core of the human experience, as well as wonder why the oppressive murder of civilians still occurs today. The undeniable relief that resulted from Allied liberation makes today's international hesitation on human rights intervention seem a bit silly.

I also visited sections of the Berlin Wall and Checkpoint Charlie, a famous border crossing. The informative displays brought to life the events of post-war Berlin. The trauma of dividing the city in two still lingers and is evident in the city culture today.

On balance, Berlin is a city of relevant history, modern design, and welcoming spirit – definitely one of the highlights of this trip.


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

TiergartenTiergarten
Tiergarten

Green space abounds in central Berlin.
Light show at NightLight show at Night
Light show at Night

Wandering around the city at night, I happened to stumble upon a light show outside the Reichstag (parliment building) that discussed the history of Berlin and the Reichstag.
Confined SpaceConfined Space
Confined Space

Part of the Jewish Museum featured an enclosed, unheated, unlit save for a slit of natural light tower of concrete - open to interpretation.
ShapesShapes
Shapes

Taken inside the Jewish Museum
Audio SculptureAudio Sculpture
Audio Sculpture

Taken inside the Jewish Museum
Inside Neues MuseumInside Neues Museum
Inside Neues Museum

The Neues Museum had an excellent collection of Egyptian artifacts.
Inside Neues Museum IIInside Neues Museum II
Inside Neues Museum II

The Neues Museum had an excellent collection of Egyptian artifacts.


Tot: 0.158s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 16; qc: 63; dbt: 0.0749s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb