1. Brandenburg Tor


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Berlin » Berlin
November 9th 2008
Published: November 13th 2008
Edit Blog Post

This is perhaps the quintessential symbol of Berlin. And was actually one of several gates to enter the original city. (By the way, the word BERLIN is Slavic and means "swamp city." It was literally built on a swamp and often stinks like one as well!)

The chariot rider was built in the late 1700s, commissioned by Fredrick William II of Prussia. It was built as a symbol of peace and the lady had an olive branch in her hands. Until...

Napoleon came conquering and stole the lady, taking her back to Paris where she stayed for a while. Eventually she was taken back and replaced, but with a few modifications. The locals weren't going to be all olive-branch-peace-like this time, and so they toughened her up by giving her a wicked-cool scepter and bird of prey. AND, one more alteration. Originally she had been looking straight ahead over the Pariser Platz, but now her gaze is cocked a bit to the side, straight toward the French Embassy. A bit of tongue-in-cheek humor that subtly (or not) says, "Hey guys, we're watching you ... don't try anything again."

In the Pariser Platz is also the US Embassy. This took longer to build than expected because there's supposed to be a super big bubble space around it ... but that was a bit difficult since the Brandenburg Gate is right there. I guess the American's asked if maybe the German's wouldn't mind moving the gate to help them out, but that was pretty much a no-go.

Next to the US Embassy is a bank designed by some crazy guy that likes to make crazy looking things. The outside of the bank is normal, but he made the inside to be like the inside of a whale!! Unfortunately it was closed when Beth and I came back later, so we didn't actually get to see it.

On the far corner is the super-famous, super-expensive Hotel Adlon. It's where all the famous people stay. And for only 12,000 Euro anyone can spend one night in the presidential suite! Fabulous, huh? You may recognize the hotel since it got a lot of publicity when Michael Jackson and his son made an appearance on one of the balconies!


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.187s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 59; dbt: 0.0771s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb