New Years In Berlin


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Berlin » Berlin
January 4th 2006
Published: January 5th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Bradenburger TorBradenburger TorBradenburger Tor

The Brandenburg Gate is certainly an impressive site
Well don't know what we were thinking but we ended up in Berlin for New Years and a beautiful -7 degrees welcomed us on arrival. Yeah the thought of being home by the beach sounded real good at this stage but then again we can do that next year.

Berlin had a snow dumping the day before we arrived so we were greeted with snow everywhere. We went straight to our hostel where we relaxed for a while before heading into town for dinner. The city was buzzing for New Years but with the weather so cold it made it hard to be outside so we were back at the hostel by about half 12.

The next day it was warmer so we decided to venture into town to do a walking tour that had been recommended to us. We walked past cathedrals, museums, libraries, concert halls, the Reichstag (parliament), the Brandenburg Gate, Bebelplatz (site of the book burning), the Holocaust memorial, universities, the former site of Hitler’s bunker and Checkpoint Charlie.

We had a vague idea of what went on in Berlin’s history - wars, communism, a wall, but the walk really helped to clear it all up and our Kiwi guide who was rather passionate about the city was fantastic. The 4 hour walk was brilliant and certainly the highlight of the trip.

So what else did we get up to, well Starbucks every morning, movies one afternoon and we managed to find Tony Roma's for dinner who do the most amazing ribs, and of course eating famous German sausages. They really are good!!

Interesting as it was, we wouldn't say the word fantastic to describe Berlin. The past events of the city are still so raw, however I’m sure we would look upon it differently if the weather was warmer, but it seemed to be the atmosphere of the city. You can actually feel the difference still between the east and the west. But still really enjoyed our few days and again it was great to experience another city that is so different to any other we have been to previously.

Next stop, somewhere HOT!!!



Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

Both sides of the storyBoth sides of the story
Both sides of the story

Anna has a foot in both the East and West. Amazing to think a wall stood there only 16 years ago,
Jewish MonumentJewish Monument
Jewish Monument

This is a new monument created only last year to the murdered Jews of Europe.
The WallThe Wall
The Wall

One of the last remaining sections of the Berlin Wall. It was an eerie sight.
Checkpoint CharlieCheckpoint Charlie
Checkpoint Charlie

Apparently world war 3 nearly started here years ago with a stand off between the US and Russians
Berlin CityBerlin City
Berlin City

Apparently Berlin has the second highest number of Bridges out of all european city's. Just an interesting fact for you.
Photo 7Photo 7
Photo 7

The Berlin Basilica with the modern tower behind it. This building was actually rebuilt in 1950 after being destroyed in the war.
Another BridgeAnother Bridge
Another Bridge

Anna enjoying the view of course on another bridge.
And AgainAnd Again
And Again

Just couldn't ger her away from the camera.
Back at The BrandenburgBack at The Brandenburg
Back at The Brandenburg

Oh how much did Anna love the snow?
Boney at BrandenburgBoney at Brandenburg
Boney at Brandenburg

Loved this place. This site really does represent a unified Berlin.
Chrstmas MarketsChrstmas Markets
Chrstmas Markets

Anna found this Christmas market which was very cool.
Hmmmmm RibsHmmmmm Ribs
Hmmmmm Ribs

The best ribs in the world only from Tony Roma's
And to finishAnd to finish
And to finish

Just another touristy photo


Tot: 0.216s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0417s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb