Festivals and Ruins'


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Bavaria » Regensburg
June 29th 2014
Published: July 3rd 2014
Edit Blog Post

The tower The tower The tower

The tower with the castle in the background
We had originally planned to go to Munich today but Dieter suggested a new plan to visit a festival in a little town called Ransbach. This festival is a week- long festival to celebrate the church with traditional dances, food and drink. We thought that it would be fun to go to an authentic festival as Munich will always be there

We packed up kids and followed Dieter in his car, taking a scenic route to the town; passing fields of golden yellows and greens with trees all around. We took a side road and then went over a bridge.

The town is very small, located SW of Amberg, unfortunately I could not find any link to this city. A small road led up to the town, and parking was along the very rocky field of potatoes. We walked down to the tent which had been set up as it was raining off and on. The tent had a stage on one end and lots of tables and benches set up throughout.

Outside were 3 food booths; 1 large selling many different types of homemade desserts and collecting money for the meats, 1 booth grilling sausages and steaks,
North EntranceNorth EntranceNorth Entrance

Celtics lived just past this gate.
1 booth grilling fish.

We went and got our sausage sandwiches, just sausage for me, and kids got cake. We got back inside to lots of yelling, clapping and the dancers walking up to the stage.

The dancers were young people probably in their 20’s for most of the dances, all from this town. There were dances that you think would take place but then others too. One dance, a version of musical chairs, which involved a large pretzel on a ribbon. The couple holding this pretzel when the music stopped had to take a bite of it together then the woman would wear it. This went on until the last couple standing was crowned something.

Another dance involved 2 long logs and 4 men to each log marching and chopping.

All dances involved lots of beer drinking. The audience was quite involved; singing along, clapping and drinking.

Other dances included the younger kids.

From the festival we drove to the Kallmunz Castle ruins, a place I’ve explored before. It is located along the river. http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burgruine_Kallm%!C(MISSING)3%!B(MISSING)Cnz http://www.burgensteige-regensburg.de/inhalt.asp?NAVIID=%!B(MISSING)80401D72-03F8-4032-8399-0588081E4EF7%!D(MISSING)

To get to the ruins one must walk up a stair way, up the side of the cliff. At the top is a wonderful castle and tower. Unfortunately it is not possible to enter the tower any longer as it is unstable. Outside of the north entrance is a 30 meter high earthen wall built by the Celtics.



We walked on the Celtic wall, looked at where the village was located so many years ago. Wondered about the people who lived here.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.509s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 10; qc: 46; dbt: 0.1468s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb