Scenic Tours Jewels of Europe #8


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Bavaria » Nuremberg (aka Nürnberg)
August 16th 2010
Published: August 16th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Nuremberg

Nuremberg is on the Main-Danube canal. Why do we call Nurnberg (Rocky Hill) Nuremberg?

The canal does not go near the city centre so we were ferried in by bus. Our tour included a bus tour of the city and Zepplin Field - Hitler's stadium, where he held his grand rallies. Removable barriers largely closed the stadium off. However we could get a good view of rostrum where Hitler gave his speeches. Without the flags and banners and from our viewing position it looked smaller than I expected. We could not inspect the concrete "blocks" along the sides of the stadium because they were fenced off. They may have held banners. Much of this large display and propaganda area was never finished.

The Documentation Centre was in the unfinished D shaped Kongresshalle rather like the Colosseum. Had it not been stopped during WW2 it would have had the worlds largest spanned roof. It displayed the development of the Nazi party and the cleverly arranged propaganda program of winning the support of the German people.

Altogether Hitler has 12 square kilometres for the parades and to house the youth, workers and soldiers in spartan conditions. Special rail lines and two stations were built to allow the great number of people to attend the rallies. Much of the facilities were destroyed after the war until their significance was recognised during the 1960s.

It is ironic that Hitler's favourite propaganda place would become the site where his military leaders were tried because Nuremberg's Palace of Justice had escaped the bombing and had suitable buildings with attached prison cells. The main trials of Hesse, Goering and others took place in Room 600. This was the first time a government and military officers were tried for war crimes. The USA conducted fair trials and there were some acquittals because the necessary evidence had not then been found.

We only had time for a brief visit to the main market and its fountain and the museum at the castle after the hot walk up the hill. There was lots of armour and weapons and good views over Nuremberg. Parts of the old city wall still exist.

After leaving Nuremberg we went through the highest lochs, over 24 metres. The canal here crossed over a couple of roads and a stream. The locks were "thrift" locks where much of the water released when the lock emptied was saved in 3 side basins to be used to refill the lock. This is necessary because there is not a large supply of water where the canal is at its highest.


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement



Tot: 0.3s; Tpl: 0.028s; cc: 13; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0387s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb