Linderhof - King Ludwig's II the smallest castle and only one surrounded by a garden


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Bavaria » Linderhof
September 16th 2010
Published: October 21st 2010
Edit Blog Post

LinderhofLinderhofLinderhof

View toward fountain - gayser shoots water in the middle of pond
We were driving to Linderhof along the very scenic route :-)

That palace was built by Ludwig II of Bavaria in neo-baroque style. Construction plans were created in 1869 and palace was built in years 1874 - 1878. King Ludwig II of Bawaria used to live in Linderhof most of the time.

Linderhof in defference than to the others castles (palaces) of Ludwig II of Bavaria isn't revised copy of another castle of palace like Neuschwanstein is. By the way Ludwig II was inspired of Petit Trianon in Versailles in France and other French significant buildings from 18th century.

That palace jest much smaller than the other buildings built by Ludwig II of Bavaria, thus is more comfortable to sightseeing. Inside as noticed palace is a bit sobered than other and common tourist can focus attandance at the single items. :Linderhof is much more cameral at once less comercial and definitely not overcrowded. The main difference between this palace and other ones - Linderhof is surrounded by the garden and there more interesting building to see. Inside we will accompaniate with live guide :-) We were led by nice lady who spoke in English pretty slow and clear, moreover we received
LinderhofLinderhofLinderhof

Front view
a paper guide in Polish 😊 Splendid. We joined to multi international group (mostly combined of people from central Europe) and we started our tour from first floor.

Chambers in Linderhof castle:
Hall of Mirrors - that room was used to by Ludwig II as guest room, he invited guests there. Because of the lifestyle Bavarian rulers, mirrors are positioned so that they give the effect of endless reflection - who saw Enter the Dragon starred Bruce Lee would know how this effect of endless reflection looks. :-) Despite of everything was very well decorated like in the other palaces built by Ludwig II of Bavaria. Chandeliers were made of ivory and the mirrors framed in white and gold conjure.

East and West Gobelin Room - these two chamber are almost identical. Sometimes West ones was called Music Room because there is aeolodion. This is a peculiar combination of piano and harmony.

Audience Chamber - in this room dominates the King's writing table, symmetrically flanked by two fireplaces of Bardiglio marble upon which stand the equestrian statuettes of Ludwig II. The writing table is framed and crowned by a silk and gold embroidered canopy in green. The
LinderhofLinderhofLinderhof

Garden ;-)
paintings over the doors and on the wall with window show allegorical scenes of different seasons.

Dining Room - in the middle of this room we could find the table called "The self setting table", which could be raised and lowered from the kitchen below, allowing the shy king Ludwig II to remain indisturbed during his meal times.

Bed Chamber - this room is located at the north part of castle and throught the window king Ludwig II had seen a cascade waterfall. That room was designed by Angelo Quaglio, and finally was enlarged in 1884 by Julius Hofmann becoming the largest room in the palace. The room was modeled after the "Reichen Zimmer" in the Munich Residence in the royal blue motif. Marble sculptures and painting over the bed niche presenting the ancient mythology.

Taking the pictures inside isn't permitted.

Except the building there is wide park. That park combined the elements of baroque park with italian renaissance and some compisition of British gardens. In the park we find plenty of sculptures and the other elements proven splendor of residence. The park covering over 198 acres. By the way even garden proves king Ludwig II
LinderhofLinderhofLinderhof

View of palace from hill
had never considered expences for his residences. Even garden had to been perfect :-) There is an artificial gayser which shoots water up frequently for 30 minutes.

Amongst the attractions of Linderhof we visited in "Venus Grotto". That was artificial cave built to illutrate the act of Richard Wagner's opera "Tannhäuser". Ludwig II liked to row across the pond in cave in the swan-shaped boat. he had special wish desire namely he desired to cave shimmered with a blue light. Some dynamas were installed to achieve that effect.

Huntingg's Hut - in this building king Ludwig II of Bavaria would have entered to the world of the first day of Richard Wagner's Festival Drama "The Ring of the Nibelungen" and re-live the dramatic and passionate action of the 1st act of "Die Walküre".

I must say one important word. Wonderful!!! That palace was really wonderful and we unanimously found it as the best one amongst all these ones whose we have seen. Linderhof have something more than a dozen chambers to do a quick tour because next group is waiting in the queue to see. This is not trashy and full of tourists.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

LinderhofLinderhof
Linderhof

Cascade watefall.
LinderhofLinderhof
Linderhof

Pergola in garden
LinderhofLinderhof
Linderhof

We met these dangerous geese :D
LinderhofLinderhof
Linderhof

Moroccan hpouse
LinderhofLinderhof
Linderhof

Moroccan House - decorations inside
LinderhofLinderhof
Linderhof

Venus Grotto
LinderhofLinderhof
Linderhof

Landscape


Tot: 0.191s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 16; qc: 60; dbt: 0.1253s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb