Colditz


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Bavaria » Kronach
September 18th 2010
Published: September 18th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Colditz


Monday 13th September 2010

Heading south to Bavaria via Colditz and its famous castle.

The boys were interested in the story of how prisoners made numerous attempts to escape Oflag IV-C, one of the most famous German Army prisoner-of-war camps for officers in World War II.
Between 30 and 36 (German/Allied figures) men succeeded in their attempts. The camp was located in Colditz Castle, situated on a cliff overlooking the town of Colditz in Saxony.

Afterwards the boys were keen to devise and write their own plan and escape stories - well worth the detour.

From here we travelled south thinking we had made a clean getaway from Colditz - Wrong!

Whilst travelling on the A9 close to the Czech border we were pulled by the German police.
This involved them pulling ahead and indicating with flashing lights and a 'follow me' sign that we were to leave the motorway.
We were taken off at the next exit and into a compound and asked where we had been and where we were going. They looked closely to see if we were overloaded and then asked if we had any 'secrets'.
By this they meant contraband goods and I was able to assure them I had none, at this they released us.

We drove on to Campingplatz Stadtsteinach where we had dinner in the restaurant and met a very nice German couple who being retired teachers were interested in how we were planning to educate the boys. They indicated taking the boys out of school to home educate as we are doing would not be allowed in Germany even for qualified teachers.



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Captains Morris & MorrisCaptains Morris & Morris
Captains Morris & Morris

Stand by your beds!


Tot: 0.099s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 18; qc: 66; dbt: 0.0678s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb