Fussen here we come!


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Bavaria » Fussen
June 28th 2013
Published: June 28th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Our day started off leaving Nordlingen and making a change to our original travel plan. After some additional research, we decided to cancel our hotel for tonight in Ausburg because we really wanted to get to Fussen in southern Bavaria, hopefully Austria later in the week. This was a wise decision and we were able to check into our Hotel, Hotel Hirsch in Fussen a night early, so it all worked out! The hotel is beautiful and filled with thousands of Bavarian antiques....

Once arriving in Fussen, we thought we could begin our tour of a few castles but we quickly learned that you need a tour reservation or wait in a four hour line....so we decided to make to a tour reservation for tomorrow and visit the next stop that we were interested in, a gondola ride to the top of the Alps.

With no wait, we road to the top of Mt. Tegelberg and saw the most breathtaking amazing view of the castles from a distance, the alps and the small towns at the base of the snow capped peaks. Once up 1780 meters, we watched hang gliders jump off the side of the mountain and actually float up in the sky! Next we hiked a red trail and continued to climb up even higher into the alps, the temperature continued to drop and become cool. We ended our time high in the sky with a latte at "the cafe with a view from the heavens."

Next we had some time before dinner, we decided to travel about 40 kilometers east to a town on the romantic road called Oberammergau. This town is famous for the "Passion Play" that occurs here every 10 years (next show is in 2020) and all the mural paintings on the outside of the houses and buildings. There were lots of woodworking shops and other cute stores we wondered through. We ended our night with a wonderful meal at Restaurant Aquila and shared a table with another German couple that were very friendly. Looking forward to visiting the castles tomorrow!


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.135s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 10; qc: 62; dbt: 0.0538s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb