Neuschwanstein Castle


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Bavaria » Fussen
June 9th 2007
Published: June 9th 2007
Edit Blog Post

This one is for my friend Karen Pearce (hope you are still reading our blog!) Lover of all castles.

Up early again and much to the delight of Tim to make our journey to Munich and then back to Fussen, 4 hours in total on the train.

To say that Glenn was not all that enthusiastic about making this trip might be a bit of an understatement. He thought we were going to some hick town to see a a little castle to keep me happy (last part true lol.)

Upon arrival he was very quick to eat his words, before our eyes was this beautiful castle, Neuschwanstein. Home of King Ludwig of Bavaria.

After getting off the train we made our way to our hotel, The Mueller. We were very impressed as once again our balcony had a great view, the castle itself.

We headed down to reception to book some tickets for our tour of the castles. There are two here and both were used by Ludwig. We booked a tour for 6.00pm so we had a bit of time to kill so we went down to the lake and hired a paddle boat, a bit of fun and Glenn had taken the speedos so he decided to have a swim. I think it was a bit chilly.

We then headed for Schloss Hohenschwangau, the smaller of the castles and the one that Ludwig stayed in while the other was being built. It is a beautful castle but a lot smaller than it famous cousin. We had a great guide who spoke great english so it made for an interesting tour. the only down side was this family with 6 children. 2 of whom decided to scream the place down, hardly ideal and their parents didn't think to take them outside!

A nice dinner was had at our hotel before taking a few (50 or so) photos of the caslte in different lights.

Next morning was our tour of Neuschwanstein. We decided to take the ride up there by horse and cart which was very pleasant and saved a 40 minute walk up hill. this castle has to be seen to be believed. Absolute extravagance which lead to the downfall of King ludwig. The only way to see the castle on the inside was in a tour. Our guide was again great and full of information. We were amazed to learn that the castle was never finished due to Ludwig's premature death at the age of 19. We then took the walk to Marienbridge along with hundreds of others for some more photos. We then took the bus back to town, and then the train for Munich.

If you only ever saw one castle in Europe then it would have to be Neuschwanstein.

Kaz, hope this gives you the inspiration to go.



Advertisement



18th June 2007

OMG!
Thanks guys! Can't wait to see all the photo's - it looks absolutely beautiful and yes, it is one that is definately on my agenda! Kaz xo
27th June 2007

Thanks for taking us all along!
Hello! Thanks for sharing your trip around Europe ... it was fun to read along! I especially loved the entries from Austria ... it has a place in my heart. Went to Hallstatt a long time ago (could it really be about 30 years?!) ... and from your pics it looks like it hasn't changed much ... thank goodness! Great to see the historical charm of the place has been maintained! Cheers! Regards Tanya

Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0459s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb