Background: As Europe's largest economy and most populous nation, Germany remains a key member of the continent's economic, political, and defense organizations. European power struggles immersed Germany in two devastating World Wars in the first half of the 20th century and left the country occupied by the victorious Allied powers of the US, UK, France, and the Soviet Union in 1945. With the advent of the Cold War, two German states were formed in 1949: the western Federal Republic of Germany (FRG) and the eastern German Democratic Republic (GDR). The democratic FRG embedded itself in key Western economic and security organizations, the EC, which became the EU, and NATO, while the Communist GDR was on the front line of the Soviet-led Warsaw Pact. The decline of the USSR and the end of the Cold War allowed for German unification in 1990. Since then, Germany has expended considerable funds to bring Eastern productivity and wages up to Western standards. In January 1999, Germany and 10 other EU countries introduced a common European exchange currency, the euro.
Photos from Titisee-Neustadt
Blogs from Titisee-Neustadt
Latest Blogs from Titisee-Neustadt
- September 21st 2011 Titisee
by Words: 131 Photos: 12
- August 4th 2010 Apologies, I am still alive!!!
by Words: 66 Photos: 0
- July 17th 2010 Hello again!
by Words: 158 Photos: 0
- July 11th 2010 Work, work, work!
by Words: 214 Photos: 3
- July 6th 2010 Update
by Words: 97 Photos: 0
- July 1st 2010 First day nerves...
by Words: 546 Photos: 0
- June 30th 2010 Meetings...
by Words: 304 Photos: 0
- June 29th 2010 New Beginnings...
by Words: 229 Photos: 0
- February 26th 2010 Titisee Glacial Lake
by Words: 27 Photos: 59
- October 3rd 2009 Cuckoo
by Words: 671 Photos: 7
- October 17th 2008 The Black Forest
by Words: 180 Photos: 12
- June 20th 2007 A Day in the Black Forest and not a Gateau in Sight
by Words: 577 Photos: 15
- June 18th 2007 Nordic Walking and Mushroom Stalking
by Words: 428 Photos: 9
- June 17th 2007 Walking Good & Funny Wood
by Words: 423 Photos: 13
- June 16th 2007 Home Alone Abroad
by Words: 611 Photos: 4
- June 15th 2007 The Continuing Adventures of Inspirado
by Words: 724 Photos: 8