Auf Wiedersehen


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Baden-Württemberg » Tübingen
August 2nd 2006
Published: August 2nd 2006
Edit Blog Post

MunichMunichMunich

This photo was taken a long time ago but just found it recently and its kinda cool.
Its strange to think that after 3 months in Germany I have now spent just over 1% of my life here. Granted that perhaps seems not so much, however it differs slightly from the 4 days that our original plans had us staying. So today is the last day, so much has happened since we arrived in May. The World Cup, a month long festival in every village, city and town in the country. Trips to Medieval Castles and Towns, A weekend in Paris, A week in Spain, our own little apartment, a music festival, beer gardens, bars, nightclubs, restaurants. Its been a great time.

Germany is an interesting country, one that is rich in history both of the good and bad variety. This town for example has a history dating back around 1,500 years. Each region has its own culture and different traditions. Tübingen is in Swabia which differs greatly from the neighbouring Bavaria, and people from the north even have trouble understanding the language down here. The entire country has only been re-unified for 17 years after 40 years of separation. Infact re-unified may not even be the right word, perhaps re-unifying suits better.

The next generation
La Sangara FamiliaLa Sangara FamiliaLa Sangara Familia

One of the people I was hanging out with in Spain sent me some photo's, so I do have some! This is the crazy cathedral that has been under construction for 124 years!
will be telling for Germany. Its central geographical and economic position in Europe mean that its importance will be everpresent, but how well the language and culture survive will to me be the most interesting. Its predicted by the end of the century 5,500 of the 6,000 languages now spoken will no longer exist, hopefully German is not one of them.

Its hard to say if I will be back in Tübingen but hopefully one day I will, I have had such a fantastic time here and recommend anyone travelling to Europe to firstly make sure you see the south of Germany but also get out of the big cities and into the beautiful little towns that are everywhere down here.

Well thats all for now, tomorrow I meet Kristian and we head off to Sweden.

Auf Wiedersehen!

John




Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Market SquareMarket Square
Market Square

The centre of Tübingen
The Neckar RiverThe Neckar River
The Neckar River

These building are one of the most recognisable features of Tübingen
BarcelonaBarcelona
Barcelona

Crazy times, the other guy is Paul who sent me these photo's. Cheers!


Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0416s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb