Freiburg, Chocolate Sardines & Fog


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Baden-Württemberg » Freiburg
October 10th 2005
Published: October 11th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Chocolate Sardines????Chocolate Sardines????Chocolate Sardines????

Believe it or not they are chocolate

A quick trip across the Rhine



10/10/05 - we took a drive across the Rhine into Germany and visited the city of Freiburg. The cathedral there is a stunning Gothic affair and surveyed the flattening of the city by the Americans during WWII. The rest of the city was leveled by an onslaught of bombing and was rebuilt largely by women. It was hard to find male workers at the time as most were dead or in prison.

I would not describe it as a lovely city. It was interesting, but a shame that the town clock tower has a McDonalds advertising sign just under it and the eatery is so close to the clock tower. I found it amazing the Freiburgians would allow them to do such a thing.

Chocolate sardines



We noticed in a chocolate shop a small tin of chocolate sardines. This is not the first time we have spotted these strange items. I have seen chocolate made to resemble many things, but never a tin of sardines!

The fog



Out trip back to France was interesting, the German fog had rolled in and made driving a challenge, our route took us through dark villages and towns with very narrow streets and the Beemers and Audis were sitting right on my clacker. Our lease car has red tourist plates so they have an obvious warning that I could do something very stupid at any moment. Lucky for them I did not forget which side of the road to be on and I managed to go around the round-a-bouts in the correct directions.

We were glad to make it to the French side of the Rhine River, the fog lifted and the road is much wider and better marked. Plus, I have got used to the French road signs and was confused by all the “ausfahrt” and “einfahrt” signs. At first I naturally assumed they referred to the gasses produced digesting sauerkraut, but with finally convinced me they referred to exit and entry ramps on and off the highways, etc.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 16; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0294s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb