An Extra in the Sound of Music


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France
July 8th 2008
Published: July 30th 2008
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: One Hell Of a Race 46 secs
It all started a couple of months ago when I had a braai at my house and my good friend Richard and I had had one too many drinks. Richard then suggested we do this crazy race up in the Alps that he had read about. 10 mins later after much intense concentration whilst trying to punch in our card details we had flights to and from Geneva.
Took the late flight out of Luton (never ever fly from this god forsaken place) and arrived in Geneva around 2230. Jumped in our shuttle and we were on our way.
Eventually found our chalet(which belongs to my lovely friend Armelle) the problem was that the key was hidden away and we had a lovely hand drawn diagram of where it was but at midnight with no light other than our cell phones things were not looking good. About 20 mins later I found it, it really felt like we were partaking in some crazy treasure hunt expedition thing.
Made a massive pot of pasta and had some chocolate and went to bed.

The race itself was nothing short of incredible. It was supposed to be a 23km run in the mountains
Geneva AirportGeneva AirportGeneva Airport

Why do people always spell my name like this!
which turned into a 26km race because a race marshal was in the wrong place.
The views were unbeatable, running through the tiny french villages with young and old cheering us on was something very special.
It was very hard, I have never run at altitude and I loathe running up hills so basically this was the complete wrong race for me. Some of those hills were simply ridiculous, even the goats would have struggled. We started in the valley at 900m above sea level and finished at 2200m, so that gives you some idea of the altitude changes. The last push to the finish was up this massive slope which was a real kick in the pants. At the finish there was free beer and an extremely annoying french lady on the microphone. It was awesome sitting up there just knackerd as all hell drinking our beers in the sun.

Had the most incredible massage from this little french girl afterwards that took away all the soreness in my legs. Quite amazing.

The next day we caught the cable car up the mountain and watched the marathon runners. So much fun, Rich and I were shouting ALLEZ ALLEZ at the top of our lungs. Then hiked up to Lac le Blanc which was stunning. It's hard to even explain the beauty of this place. Brought a packed lunch and sat on a rock in the sun. A good moment.

Can't wait the marathon next year.
ALLEZ ALLEZ!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Just getting into the chaletJust getting into the chalet
Just getting into the chalet

and right before our pasta meal
ALLEZ ALLEZALLEZ ALLEZ
ALLEZ ALLEZ

Rich supporting the marathon runners
I was pretty excitedI was pretty excited
I was pretty excited

but then again i usually am!
Massage = good ideaMassage = good idea
Massage = good idea

Seriously amazing stuff. Never underestimate the power of massage.
After race smorgerborgAfter race smorgerborg
After race smorgerborg

Lots of food and some more beer.
Downtown ChamDowntown Cham
Downtown Cham

Awesome place.
Cheese, bread, meat, cherries, wineCheese, bread, meat, cherries, wine
Cheese, bread, meat, cherries, wine

What more can you ask of life?
That hillThat hill
That hill

Day after our race
Make shift hospitalMake shift hospital
Make shift hospital

For collapsed athletes
Lac BlancLac Blanc
Lac Blanc

Something special
our Chaletour Chalet
our Chalet

Just perfect.


30th July 2008

Incredible
An unbelievable weekend indeed!! Lloyd sir you are a legend! Bring on the marathon!! You can't beat the beauty of this place!!

Tot: 0.358s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 61; dbt: 0.1713s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb