Tropez Afternoon


Advertisement
Published: October 26th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Saint Tropez is one of those names one associates with Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous. After a long drive down from Gordes, we made it to the coast and spent an additional half hour driving to Saint Tropez, which is on a peninsula in the Mediterranean. Upon arriving, we realized that this was not really a driving town, but it was getting late in the afternoon and we didn't really have time to park and walk. We negotiated tiny streets and managed to stumble across a very old church backed by a beautiful winery right on the sea. According to a plaque, it was the first place liberated by the Americans which makes it even more special.

We drove through town and almost made it to "the Citadel", but were stuck behind a tow truck towing a car, so never made it there. We ended up by the marina and CM snapped a few shots from the car. We were told that the yachts would be impressive, but it must have been the wrong time of year. We've seen bigger in Roche Harbor in the San Juan Islands on the 4th of July. The old town itself was kind of cute, but also typical of old European towns. The area around the old town was pretty touristy and sum total we spent only an hour in Saint Tropez, and in the end weren't too impressed with it. We had been told that St. Tropez is the hangout of the nouveau riche whereas the real old-time money is to be found in Monaco; stay tuned, we'll be there soon!


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.311s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 37; qc: 145; dbt: 0.1315s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb