a small bit for the angels - a visit to Cognac


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Poitou-Charentes » Cognac
September 30th 2011
Published: September 30th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Thursday 15th – Cognac –
France always seems a country of big skies. Everywhere you look whether it’s at night or during the day the sky seems to go on forever. Today we decided to spend the day at Cognac which was an interesting town with a big history of Cognac production. Sions tip free parking on the Hennessey Quai by the river. The river area felt much more interesting than the one at Saintes. We had made the decision to visit a cognac distillery and chose Hennessey. We picked the English tour in the afternoon and were taken across the river in a barge to the warehouses on the other side of the river. The visit included seeing the barrels being made, the distilling process and the ageing of the cognac. Not a drink either of us particularly liked – felt that a nice malt whisky was nicer but it was an interesting experience smiled as I heard the tour guide mentioning the small amount of evaporation that went to the angels and this reminded me of tours of whisky distillaries years ago. Heard today that the local osteopath had told the owner of our gite that it is good to drink two glasses of red wine every day and decided to take her up on the offer. We are not twitchers but realised that the birds we saw in Talmont were Egrets. Friday was a day of doing nothing but sitting in the sun enjoying the last few days of our holidays. Not looking forward to going home but it has to be done - got to earn the money for the motorhome.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.057s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0345s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb