what a first day!


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Poitou-Charentes » Châtellerault
April 18th 2006
Published: April 19th 2006
Edit Blog Post

hotel Ibis Chatellerault hotel Ibis Chatellerault hotel Ibis Chatellerault

The Ibis in all its glory!
Well we finally departed the shores of blighty, after a lovely meal with Emma (as she called it the last supper!) we pootled down a almost deserted motorway towards Dover for our 2am ferry. we arrived on schedule and parked up on a chilly tuesday morning. Our ferry dumped it's cargo and we embarked feeling very tired yet very awake. Our boat left the harbour and the twinkling lights of dover slowly faded into the cold english night. Slowly ahead of us new lights began to shine through an equally cold dark french morning. Curling up on benches and a floor to try and catch some sleep our heads had hardly hit the our jacket cushions before we had arrived.

Revived with the excitement of our Dunkerque landing Helen took the wheel and we sped off (as fast as poor little Cornelius will alllow). A mixture of adreniline and cafe express stops helped us plough through the miles and miles of French motorway, Cornelius guzzling tank after tank of essence sans plombe. Tired and weary our stops were becoming more frequent as the baton of driving was handed over an over.

Then it happened!!!!

Refreshed after a small lunch break, our first real long stop to sit and eat something half decent, we pulled into yet another toll station, paid our money and pulled away. There was an almight bang, like someone hitting a dustbin with a baseball bat. We both looked at each other and out of the cars rear view mirror. Nothing untowards and Helen said the car still felt fine. We shrugged it off thinking it was a drain cover or bump in the road and pressed on at lightning speed towards the heart of france.

One more toilet and fuel break bought the source of the noise to our attention. Looking at the rear of the car after filling the tank Helen had spotted that Cornelius was listing heavily to the right. His suspension had completely given way and the springs had gone. QUELLE DISTASTRE!!! (it must of been the final 10 bags of noodles we packed!!)

Only just half way towards our destination and we were in hope or reaching Bordeaux before night fall to enjoy a decent meal and a well earnt rest. Helen picked up her mobile armed with her RAC number, her school girl French and 4hrs worth of Michel Thomas training and proceeded to have her first disaster/damsion in distress phone call all completely en francais and understood!! A miracle had happened the RAC and the local french garage worked liked a well oiled machine (not something we would have been used to back home). Within half an hour Cornelius was at a garage, a cheery french man and Helen discussing possible issues and problems ahead (for all I know they were chatting each other up!! must get onto disc 2 and 3 of Michel!), RAC had oragnised a taxi which picked us up nearly as soon as we had arrived at the garage, it whisked us away to an arranged hotel and within an hour of the phone call we lying on a pre-paid hotel bed!! fantastic service!!!

So here we are, trying to decide what to do, only half way to our destination and without Cornelius, well for at least another 12 hours all being well. Well, we actually know what were going to do, walk the 30 minutes into the nearest ville to have a relaxed dinner and 2 of the biggest glasses of wine central France has to offer, as they say here and I am sure it's a phrase we'll get used to... C'est la vie ...
until next time Aurevoir!!!!

Advertisement



19th April 2006

Sounds like a good plan
A large glass or two is a grand plan. Good nights sleep and prehaps Cornelius will be ready to go .... off to the French Riveria. Safe journey. Heidi

Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0437s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb