France 67 -From the tunnel to Bresles


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Picardy » Beauvais
May 6th 2014
Published: May 6th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Day 2 – France



Hillaire Beloc made the statement that “He had wandered all his life and he had travelled. The difference we wander for distraction and we travel for fulfilment”.. Those words rang in my ears on Day 2 of the trip. I have been a wanderer. I have lived in 12 homes and worked at probably twice as many locations and both have been distractions. I probably haven’t travelled as much as some but when I do travel it is for fulfilment, to understand different cultures and learn all the time about life.

This trip would be no different. Hopefully upon our return we would know more than before we left and we would have precious memories to take forward.

We had a good nights sleep which was surprising given all the noise from the dogs and children on site and the music and fireworks bangs from Truckfest which was being held locally. We tried our damndest to see the fireworks but the mature trees got in the way and we had to make do with the bangs and try to imagine the colourful display which must have been going on.

We are finding our way around Suzy. As we have not done a shakedown trip this year and not been in her since the beginning of December it is easy to forget what is in each cupboard or how the heating system works. Trial and error took place as we gradually remembered how to work each control. The TV wouldn’t work due to the tall trees so the puzzle books and my book The Tudor Wife came out. Time to catch up on reading.



We woke to a sunny morning at 6.00. A nip to the air but it boded well for the journey south. We breakfasted quickly on orange juice, coffee and croissants and moved about the van silently. We have quickly learned the art of not banging cupboard doors, shutting things quietly and disconnecting the electricity without disturbing anyone. After opening the barriers we dropped the key in the box and headed for the road south . At 7 it was relatively quiet and we made good progress. Our plan to join the M11 and go around the M25 clockwise over the Dartford Crossing. The M25 was empty and the crossing £2. Into Kent the garden of England along the M20 and M2. A quick fill of diesel to top Suzy up and it was in to Ashford and the procedure to get on the train. The route through the booths was as always simple and we were offered an earlier train. With only half an hour to kill we made a drink and ate some sandwiches to while away the time. The station did seem busier than normal but then it is a Bank Holiday weekend. No passport check, no documents for Suzy checked and no check of our contents, gas or steering wheel.

The journey through was as usual excellent and 35 minutes later we were waved off the train - the Lucia Poppa and we headed out of Calais, GPS, Crash Cam and Sat Nav set up and running. Bresles our first stop in France a little over 3 and a quarter hour away. A journey which would take us on some of the most empty of roads.

After half an hour we pulled up at the Aires les Falaises de Widhem which overlooks the Baiae du Somme. A lovely spot in the shade of four wind turbines and with views across countryside reminiscent of the English shires. Nothing in this part of the world looks any different to England. The soil chalky and white, the trees deciduous and distinctly northern European and the flowers much the same as back home. Dandelions and ox eye daisies a carpet of yellow and white along the verges. Dinner a salad followed by raspberries a simple lunch but tasting divine in the early afternoon sunshine. And to finish off a walk around the aire to the viewpoint over the surrounding countryside . The weather a bit like England with a hint of summer but still with that chill to the air.



As we travelled further south the fields turned a bright garish yellow , the oilseed rape brightening up the countryside .

We arrived at our overnight stop Camping de la Trye at the small town of Bresles. When we pulled up reception was open but not a soul in sight. A note suggested that we found a plot and called the owners and they would be with us shortly. We decided to find a plot and not bother calling the owners. Instead once we had plugged into the electric and
Dartford crossing Dartford crossing Dartford crossing

Are we there yet?
filled up with water we could go back up again and see if Madame et Monsieur were anywhere around.



The site sprawls and in a bit of a state of disrepair as it looked as if work was currently underway to improve and enlarge the site. We found a grassy plot at the bottom end of the site close to a small stream complete with resident mallard ducks. Our neighbours a Dutch couple and a couple from Birmingham in their caravan. At first the site seemed noisy but as the children were taken in it quietened down. Our electricity went off and someone had taken our power out and plugged us into a socket which didn’t work. Right at the point where we were uploading crash cam data. Our brummy neighbour came round to ask for our help with his electrics as he was having problems.



Cost for the site 14euros when I eventually located the owners. The site is an ACSI site ,. Facilities were a bit basic. A reasonable area to wash crockery and have a shower. Not the best we have stayed at but neither was it the worse . No internet access and no shops on site. There was a swimming pool although I think it probably could be better described as a rubber pool rather large and rather empty . Maybe further in the season it would be filled and used but this was too early in the season and it was rather unloved . The tv worked too and we were able to watch The Crimson Field a story about nursing in World War One. As we will be too far south next week sadly I will miss the last episode. Would we use it again - probably not unless just as an overnighter. I dont think there was much to write home about Bresles. Even the town itself looked lacklustre. Tight narrow streets with typical french houses right up to the pavements. A sugar factory providing work for the townspeople and a railway line running through it.

Sion however found a digger and insisted he had his photo taken on it for his friend Woolly . That was for him the highlight of Bresles .

Tomorrow it is the plan to go round Paris and head south and for the sun .


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



6th May 2014

I saw Ewe
Sion, make sure you bring the digger back for us to play on with your bestest fiend Woolly

Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 17; qc: 28; dbt: 0.054s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb