Background: Although ultimately a victor in World Wars I and II, France suffered extensive losses in its empire, wealth, manpower, and rank as a dominant nation-state. Nevertheless, France today is one of the most modern countries in the world and is a leader among European nations. Since 1958, it has constructed a presidential democracy resistant to the instabilities experienced in earlier parliamentary democracies. In recent years, its reconciliation and cooperation with Germany have proved central to the economic integration of Europe, including the introduction of a common exchange currency, the euro, in January 1999. At present, France is at the forefront of efforts to develop the EU's military capabilities to supplement progress toward an EU foreign policy.
Photos from Angers
No Start a Travel Diary Free Travel Blog Site
Blogs from Angers
Latest Blogs from Angers
- January 10th 2012 My memory might be a little foggy....
by Words: 531 Photos: 0
- January 10th 2012 Where to start?!
by Words: 408 Photos: 8
- November 20th 2011 'think about this: what if all your plans just fell right into place, would you be better then?'
by Words: 976 Photos: 0
- September 4th 2011 settling in to a new home.
by Words: 1147 Photos: 0
- August 19th 2011 South to the Loire
by Words: 507 Photos: 4
- June 29th 2011 Visit in the French Countryside (Val de Loire, Poitou-Charentes)
by Words: 136 Photos: 33
- August 29th 2010 Angers - I now know how to pronounce it...
by Words: 139 Photos: 0
- July 16th 2010 Day 3 France
by Words: 496 Photos: 0
- February 20th 2010 Shenanigans in Angers
by Words: 2120 Photos: 24
- February 13th 2010 Irish Washerwoman
by Words: 1054 Photos: 8
- December 5th 2009 Part 12: Strange dreams, interpretive dance and making out on park benches in Angers
by Words: 1678 Photos: 17
- October 28th 2009 Angers
by Words: 655 Photos: 15
- July 7th 2009 La vilaine, notre pigeon, la belle
by Words: 913 Photos: 0
- June 15th 2009 Je serai (TROP!) btt aux Etats-Unis
by Words: 986 Photos: 14
- June 9th 2009 Germany comes to France :)
by Words: 933 Photos: 18
- May 22nd 2009 Informal French Expressions
by Words: 380 Photos: 0
- May 18th 2009 Woot for for free museums until midnight!
by Words: 1173 Photos: 12
- May 18th 2009 La Famille
by Words: 568 Photos: 1
- May 2nd 2009 Spring Break has come ... and gone ...
by Words: 1669 Photos: 0
- April 7th 2009 Out and About
by Words: 477 Photos: 1