Europa Day 19


Advertisement
Published: June 1st 2012
Edit Blog Post

Day 19

Off to the Pyrenees today. Alain and Josette are showing us the Pic du Midi du Bigorre (the top of the Pyrenees).

As we climb the mountains we get to see snow covered hills - in spring/summer....

Park the car and into a cable car to the peak which is 2877 metres above sea level. Oxygen a little tight but the views are to kill for. First cable car to a mid point then change to the big one that drops then climbs really high and fast. Eventually at the top and lots of photos.

At one stage we are surprised by 3 fighter planes (Alain thinks from Spain) that fly past very close to us and then down a valley. Sort of got them in photos - if you strain your eyes...

The top of the peak has all sorts of Astrological domes, weather station and other transmission stuff. Looked a lot like a scene from a James Bond movie - will have to look at a few movies when we get home.

There is a history of the building of the station which showed the men walking up the mountain with mules carrying their supplies. Also lots about the stars and sun from the Astrological sites.

The sights up here were real postcard stuff. Too many things to take in at once but we did try hard.

Back into the village (which is almost deserted) and have lunch. Quite a few bike riders coming up the mountain as this will be one of the Tour de France stages (maybe they are practicing for the ride). Chris offers to take a photo of 3 riders who stopped at the same place we were. They were happy to get a group photo, but then Alain jumps in and takes a photo of Chris with the Lycra clad bikies.

Finally back down and off to our latest home at Toulouse for a final meal with our hosts. What a great time we have had with them. Their hospitality has been fantastic and we have been spoilt with touring and food also....

Now on to Provence tomorrow.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.385s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 51; dbt: 0.1224s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb