Honfleur, France


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Lower Normandy » Villerville
August 2nd 2012
Published: September 12th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Villerville, France

Not much driving today. But we still got to see some interesting scenery. We loved Honfleur.

Honfleur, FranceHonfleur, FranceHonfleur, France

What is it about the name "Darcy" that I like so well?
Thursday, Day 17

Well, on Friday, we had to say goodbye to Jackie's new car. So, we decided to use this day to prepare her car for the delivery at the drop location in Paris before we did anymore sightseeing. We discovered that in the nearby village of Trouville-sur-Mer, there was a self-service car wash. So, after breakfast we drove over and after a few tries, we found the wash and cleaned the car ourselves. Our finished product was more like a "detail job" than a routine car wash. It looked great.

After cleaning the car, we drove over to the nearby town of Honfleur. It is located on the south side of the Seine River, across from Le Havre. There is a lot of interesting history here with plenty to see.

And, thanks to Rick Steve’s Guidebook, we found a nice laundromat to wash our clothes for the last time. Later, we enjoyed the art galleries and took a scenic boat tour of the harbor. If we are ever back in this area we would definitely return to spend more time here.

Since we were in our third week, we were a little tired of sightseeing.
Honfleur, FranceHonfleur, FranceHonfleur, France

Time, once again, to do laundry.
So, we spent the remainder of the day back at the hotel and surrounding area. We had a full moon and perfect weather; perfect for just walking around the village and down by the sea.

For Friday, we were to have a busy day. On the drive down to Paris, we planned to stop at Giverny, where Claude Monet spent 43 of his most creative years. Then we planned to drive to our hotel in Paris, drop our luggage, drive to the Chas DeGaulle Airport and return to our hotel on the subway. So, we got to bed early to catch up on needed sleep.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Honfleur, FranceHonfleur, France
Honfleur, France

Jackie at the Vieux Bassin, the old port. The River Seine meets the English Channel here in Honfleur.
Honfleur, FranceHonfleur, France
Honfleur, France

Lots of art galleries. I like this sculpture. Seems like something is missing, however.
Honfleur, FranceHonfleur, France
Honfleur, France

There she goes.
Honfleur, FranceHonfleur, France
Honfleur, France

We did a boat tour of the harbor. Cool way to see the entire area.
Honfleur, FranceHonfleur, France
Honfleur, France

The Bridge! It looks small here but that was a huge structure.
Honfleur, FranceHonfleur, France
Honfleur, France

Samuel de Champlain sailed from Honfleur in 1608 to North America, where he discovered the St. Lawrence River and founded Quebec City. This building was his home.
VillervilleVillerville
Villerville

This was our patio of our hotel room. Nice place to relax. We needed it.


12th September 2012

Your wonderful journey
You beat Rick Steves hands down. I've thoroughly enjoyed your exciting trip. You did a great job with describing the sights and the different locations. It became alive with your commentary...Bravo!
13th September 2012

My sweet sister
Thanks. I'm glad you have enjoyed. I have a few to go. Stand by.

Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 12; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0624s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb