Villerville, Normandy, France


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Lower Normandy » Villerville
July 31st 2012
Published: August 15th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Nice drive along coast

The highlight of this drive was a crossing of the Seine over a enormous new bridge.

Day 15

When we got up on Tuesday, we wanted to see a few sites in Dieppe before driving over to Villerville. We started with the German gun batteries above the Dieppe castle. It provided great views over the beaches.

It was here that the Canadians were beaten back in 1942 when they invaded the city during WWII. The attack was known as a "raid" which was felt necessary by the Allies to learn how the Germans were defending the French and Belgium ports. Unfortunately for the Canadians chosen to attack, it was a big disaster. Many thousands were killed and captured. It would be more than two years before the Allies invaded Normandy with a serious attack.

After a short tour of the area we drove along the coast towards Le Havre and Honfleur along the Normandy coast. I had read in the R. Steves guide that there was an impressive bridge that we might want to see. The engineer in me decided that we must go this route.

After crossing the bridge, we made the short drive into the small village of Villerville to find our hotel. A tennis friend of Jackie's had recommended. It was just right for us. We wanted a home base for day trips to the Normandy sites. Plus, we needed to rest up before turning in the car in Paris on Friday.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Dieppe, FranceDieppe, France
Dieppe, France

The marina was full of nice boats.
Dieppe, FranceDieppe, France
Dieppe, France

View from above. Our hotel was in the lower right side of the photo.
Dieppe, FranceDieppe, France
Dieppe, France

I don't know the name of this castle. Just one more.
Villerville, FranceVillerville, France
Villerville, France

Courtyard at our hotel.
Villerville, FranceVillerville, France
Villerville, France

This is the view from our hotel room.
Villerville, FranceVillerville, France
Villerville, France

Sunset in Normandy.
Villerville, FranceVillerville, France
Villerville, France

Our hotel in Normandy, The Bellevue Hotel.


Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 33; dbt: 0.0366s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb