The 100 Mile Diet Made Easy


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Languedoc-Roussillon » Sommieres
June 13th 2011
Published: July 16th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Royal Wedding menuRoyal Wedding menuRoyal Wedding menu

The day Will and Kate tied the knot, we had tea and fresh baked scones followed by champagne and a variety of tea sandwiches.
Much is made of the 100 Mile Diet in North America. Frankly, it has always seemed to be more trouble than it is worth. Doing it right would preclude a lot of the things we have come to rely upon like bananas or olives.

But here in France, you could probably say "thanks for the 100 miles, but I will give you 80 of those back to you as I won't be using them. Thirty kilometres is more than ample."

We get asparagus in November at home. That is just plain wrong. When I first arrived in Sommieres, the white asparagus was newly out. Gradually, as each market week progressed, less of the white was seen and then more of the green. And then, none. The early strawberries disappeared but were eventually replaced by fraises de bois (a tiny strawberry better than candy). The artichokes came and went, the peaches arrived along with the apricots.

The best of all is a melon from Cavaillon in Provence. I was lucky enough to scoop up three a few miles from Cavaillon one day and bring them straight home. The first one was sublime - warm from the fields, dripping with
Wines from Cooking ClassWines from Cooking ClassWines from Cooking Class

All locally grown grapes and all fabulous.
the taste and smell of honey. The second, a day or two later, was also good. By the time the third was cut into, about a week later, it became obvious that my lovely melon was really now just a cantaloupe. Time and refridgeration had taken those juices down a bit. It proved in large letters that food is not meant to travel far or be eaten in the future. It is for gobbling on the spot, right now, with a big old handkerchief at your elbow and, at best, wearing a bathing suit or in the bathtub (where my daughter's grandmother first introduced Tiana to the joys of mangos. I later added pomegranates to the category of bathtub food for a small child. She continues the tradition to this day. I worry if, in polite company, she is served a mango and immediately starts hunting out a body of water in which to consume it!).

We had a few meals like that in France. One of the best was the evening we picked up about five pounds (2.5 kilos) of perfectly cooked prawns - heads on, the best way to cook them. Garlic heated in a little butter,
Cinnamon bunsCinnamon bunsCinnamon buns

Not normally a baker, I was inspired by my friend Bev to give it a try. By the end of the trip, I was making bread, even pita bread, with modest success.
lots of baguettes, a crisp salad and even crisper wine and we were good to go. The prawns rivalled our best BC spot prawns and were sweet in a way than only the freshest can be. Every last prawn was gone that night and all that was left was a pile of heads and shells.

People thought I was cooking up gourmet stuff. Frankly, all it takes is to be a good gatherer. With the right ingredients, amazing things happen. It doesn't take much effort to put things on platters, throw a few fig leaves underneath the cheeses and people think you fussed!

When I went to France, I had hoped to come home taller, thinner and more stylish. Doubtless none of these things have happened. But, eating a diet filled with cheese and wine is offset by a profusion of fresh produce, little processed food and no preservatives. I may not be thinner or taller, but at least we ate with style.

As pictures are worth thousands of words, and make nice viewing, I will add some food photos here. I hope you enjoy them as much as I did!


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

Old olivesOld olives
Old olives

These were what we found on the trees when we arrived - over-wintered olives. On the ground, in the pool, everywhere. It seemed such a sad waste but there are olive trees everywhere. No doubt hard to process it all!
Curing olivesCuring olives
Curing olives

But, what the heck! Found a recipe online for curing olives and thought it was worth a try. It wasn't. Maybe in the fall when they are fresh and the juices still in them?
Young olivesYoung olives
Young olives

The little olives are trying gamely to grow this year despite the neglect the previous generation received. Maybe their fate will be better than to be stomped underfoot but to be pressed into oil?
Olive oilOlive oil
Olive oil

You ca.n find some wonderful oils nearby. This seller was at an event in Montpellier
Prawn FeastPrawn Feast
Prawn Feast

We ate better at home than in many restaurants. This was indeed a simple feast.
Typical lunchTypical lunch
Typical lunch

Step one. Grab a bunch of stuff out of the fridge. Step two. Put on plates. Step three. Call everyone to the table and open a bottle of rose wine. (Oh yes, before step one - go to the local market and get lovely things).
French ToastFrench Toast
French Toast

What to do with all those leftover baguettes? Make French toast, add some fruit, a bit of peach compote and some creme fraiche and you have breakfast!
Fridge cleanout lunchFridge cleanout lunch
Fridge cleanout lunch

Half a boiled egg, a bit of pate, some salad, half a tomato and a husk of bread - we were more than happy.
Hartleys ice creamHartleys ice cream
Hartleys ice cream

Not technically France. With Alan and Karenne in Barcelona eating ice cream. They were worth the price just to watch the staff make flowers out of the ice cream as they scooped.
Ice Cream closeupIce Cream closeup
Ice Cream closeup

Tiana's beautiful ice cream cone flower.
Myrtille TartMyrtille Tart
Myrtille Tart

Wendy, our house manager, brought this to lunch one day. Not a crumb was left. Myrtilles in a tart.
Apricot Tart and JeanApricot Tart and Jean
Apricot Tart and Jean

I was going to label this picture "two tarts" but that wouldn't be fair to Jean! This was taken when the apricots started to be seen in the markets.
Local fruitsLocal fruits
Local fruits

Tiana and I went for a walk one day and on our journey found two kinds of plums growing and figs. She being a fan of the English law that used to say that if a branch of a tree was growing on communal land, the fruit was fair game. I propped her up on a fence, she pulled the branch down and we snatched a few specimens.
FigsFigs
Figs

From the big fig tree in our backyard. Two jars of jam, one nice dessert and lots of eating out of hand later, the first batch is done. They were very nice with soft cheeses. The tree is laden with what will be a huge crop probably in a few more weeks. I hope they don't all land on the ground like the olives but, frankly, it would be hard to keep up. Only so much fig jam one needs....
OystersOysters
Oysters

People grab trays of freshly shucked oysters (we see the oyster farms as we drive along the coast) and sit anywhere to eat them. At our local night market, Tiana bought six and shared them with her uncle Ron. You go to a local bar, buy a glass of wine or beer and bring your own oysters. How great is that?
Auberge appetizerAuberge appetizer
Auberge appetizer

And, finally, here is what our local fancy restaurant does with ingredients - the Auberge du Pont Romaine makes them into a feast for the eyes. We do, however, also appreciate the simplicity and honesty of foods without artifice as well!


16th July 2011

Ahhhh........
Wonderful pictures, Nancy! Too bad the olive experiment didn't work - but it did give us some terrific laughs! Thank you, thank you, thank you once more for your incomparable hospitality. I only wish I had been there for the apricots & peaches! xoxo
16th July 2011

I'm hungry
Nancy...Thanks for all your wonderful writing about your adventures and enjoyment in France. I have really enjoyed reading everything. I heard from Lynne that you will be home soon. I wish you all the best. Leah and Ray

Tot: 0.148s; Tpl: 0.025s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0571s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb