Petit Rhone to Rhone a Sete Canal


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Languedoc-Roussillon » Saint-Gilles
February 2nd 2011
Published: February 2nd 2011
Edit Blog Post

It took 5 hours for us to get from Avignon to St Gilles on the canal du Rhone a Sete and we had a lovely trip. The wind was still strong so we kept the roof up but the sun was out and we saw lots of herons and other birds once we'd gone through Beaucaire lock and off onto the Petit Rhone. The Petit Rhone was much smaller than its Papa so we could see more wildlife. It was also sheltered ffrom the wind so we took the roof down. On the way Fred drew up a contract of conditions for dog ownership for Becky to sign. After deleting the more outrageous stipulations and debating the terms a little, she agreed, signed and the deed was done. They were getting a dog.
Around half six we arrived at St Gilles lock. We secured ouselves to the bollards and waited, ready with ropes to switch bollards as they weren't floaters in this one. The eclusier looked at us quizzically. It soon became clear why – the water only dropped about 2cm – there was really no need for a lock there at all! As the gates opened we were treated to a stunning view of the Canal du Rhone a Sete flowing gently along under the most amazing sunset we'd seen. The sky was purple, orange and pink and crimson edged clouds were strewn across it. Absolutely stunning and a perfect welcome to the canal that would carry us to the Med.
We found a space in St Gilles marina, did our first bow-to mooring tying on to a quay at the front and buoy at the back – not easy, glad we had extra hands on board – and went off to a lovely little restaurant for dinner. We returned home fairly early and had a good nights rest before heading to Aigues Mortes the next day.



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.245s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 16; qc: 68; dbt: 0.0669s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb