North to France


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Languedoc-Roussillon » Carcassonne
August 6th 2013
Published: August 6th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Dali Museum in Figueres Dali Museum in Figueres Dali Museum in Figueres

Like spending a couple hours in a dream world. Even the exterior blows everything apart - golden eggs and pink.
Another crack of dawn day, this time leaving Barcelona before the sun a couple hours North to the Spanish border town of Figueres. People really only come here for the Dali Museum. I've usually always liked Salvador Dali, the mad Surrealist painter. But, for some reason, I just felt used by this museum. Dali, almost more than he was an artist, was a shameless self-promoter and entertainer. And the museum is basically just a giant celebration of himself - he's actually buried here, under the stage of the theater. On top of it all, too, there's not really many well known works here. So, again, I feel like all of us tourists become the entertainment, especially since you literally have to stand on a stage to view some of his art. Dali must just be laughing, hysterical that the sheer weight of his fame can bring masses of tourists to a tiny town, and then charge a big entrance fee. It you built it, the tourists will come - almost like zombies.

A bit disillusioned, I headed across the border to France. What a relief! I for some reason was very underwhelmed by Iberia, both Portugal and Spain. I just
In Front of the Stage In Front of the Stage In Front of the Stage

It's a museum built around a theater. Who's performing for who? That's Dali's old car and boat.
never really clicked here. Maybe it's just a cultural thing, but not sure I'll go back for awhile, if ever. France, though, is just so familiar. And I was especially nostalgic today because Aix, where I studied, is just a little East of here. I just love this country, and really more Northern Europe in general. I swear some form of madness starts to set in the farther south you get, and the higher the temperature rises.

So, in France, I headed to Carcassonne, getting in around 4ish. This little town is basically a perfectly preserved Medieval village, complete with a picture perfect castle, walls, and old town. You truly feel like you've slipped back in time here. And, although it nearly drowns beneath tourists and tacky shops, you can still feel the history here. It also just finished absolutely pouring and lightning - I don't think I've seen clouds since England. A nice relief.

Tomorrow I push farther North, towards Paris, stopping for a couple of days in the Dordogne, in the tiny town of Les Eyzies to see some more cave art.


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

Stage Stage
Stage

Dali's buried here, beneath the stage. Abe only appears from a distance.
Dali PaintingDali Painting
Dali Painting

One of the few originals. Dali was all about dream-scapes, things above reality - surrealism. Things break apart and don't quite fit. It's a dream on canvas.
Homage to Mae WestHomage to Mae West
Homage to Mae West

Cool one actually. It only appears after you climb up and look through this glass. The lips and nose sit separately on the ground. If this makes any sense.
Back to Train StationBack to Train Station
Back to Train Station

Copy of a Dali.
Nazaire Church in CarcassonneNazaire Church in Carcassonne
Nazaire Church in Carcassonne

Huge change from Dali. A beautiful Gothic/Romanesque church in town.
Town Scene Town Scene
Town Scene

Just outside the little Nazaire Church. Truly quaint.
Chateau in TownChateau in Town
Chateau in Town

This is actually where they filmed Kevin Costner's Robin Hood. This was Nottingham Castle in the movie.
Carcassonne's Beautiful WallsCarcassonne's Beautiful Walls
Carcassonne's Beautiful Walls

Encircle the entire town. This is where you think you've slipped back in time.
Another Wall ViewAnother Wall View
Another Wall View

Tournaments and markets would be held in this space between the walls back in the Middle Ages.
Beautiful Languedoc Beautiful Languedoc
Beautiful Languedoc

Looking out from the walls. Great scenery in this area.
Approaching StormApproaching Storm
Approaching Storm

First rain for me in like 3 weeks.
Starting to PourStarting to Pour
Starting to Pour

Barely found cover in time.
Night View of WallNight View of Wall
Night View of Wall

The entire stretch of the wall is beautifully lit at night. Lightning really bad right now.


Tot: 0.134s; Tpl: 0.022s; cc: 12; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0911s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb