1st day in Paris


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Île-de-France
April 19th 2012
Published: April 22nd 2012
Edit Blog Post

Bonjour Paris! The Eurostar to Paris was a short, pleasant 2 h15 ride. We rode through some countryside but overall it wasn't that scenic of a trip. We met some nice New Yorkers both on the train and in line for a taxi. Some of the few interactions we've had so far, so worth noting. Our hotel is located in the slums of Paris (strike two!), think urban ghetto but less threatening. I was a little bewildered. Where was the romance, and the cafes, and everything cliche that is Pari. Reassured that this was not all there was to the city of lights, we set out on foot to find the beauty and history we've come to know and love.
Our pursuits led us to breathtaking Notre Dame, one of the most spectacular gothic cathedrals. It was truly a spectacle; I wanted to know everything about the inspirations for all the carvings. There was so much intricate detail, and clearly a story to be told (other than the hunchback of Notre Dame!) After being thoroughly impressed we had some delicious pizza at a quaint Italian restaurant, did some more searching and found many busy cafes and restaurants. Including this cozy little tapas restaurant where they served yummy, authentic sangria in a ramekin sized glass. Called it any early night but can't wait to do more sightseeing tomorrow. We found a free walking tour that' ll show us to the main landmarks, including the Tour Eiffel! Bon Nuit!
-Melissa


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.051s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0271s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb