Parle Vous Anglais?


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Île-de-France » Versailles
July 16th 2009
Published: July 22nd 2009
Edit Blog Post

The Most Common Phrase I Use!



Bastille Day!!! The biggest day on the French calender. A national holiday to celebrate the becoming of a republic (like America's 4th Of July), named after the day when the French revolutionaries stormed the Concergierie gaining access to thousands of guns but no ammunition. Armed with these, they then stormed the Bastille, a jail which at the time was housing five criminals (three murderers, an insane man that wouldn't leave his cell and a paedophile that didn't join the cause) but more importantly gained them ammunition for their weapons so as to take on the monarchy. It was on this day that Louis XVI, Marie Antoinette and their family were captured, ending the line of monarchs and paving the way for Napoleon Bonaparte to take command of the country and crown himself Emperor.

The down side of being a tourist in France on Bastille Day is that absolutely nothing is open. The upside.... there's parades and general merriment culminating in a fireworks display above the Eiffel Tower. Not really interested in the military parades and masses of people, I used the day to catch up on all the boring stuff that still needs to happen even when travelling. That night I got about half way down to the Seine for the fireworks before the crowds became shoulder to shoulder and I turned back, not wanting to be in a half drunk mob while trying to keep an eye on everything in my pockets. Pretty disappointing, I know but I figure if you've seen fireworks once then you don't need to see them again.

The next day was a different story. With the population back at work (some with sore heads I'm assuming) I had a free run to head out to Chateau De Versailles, the palace built by Louis XIV so that he didn't have to spend his time in Paris. Currently being renovated (like everything else I've seen on this trip - you really start getting annoyed that every picture has scaffolding in it) to bring it back to it's former glory, the entrance is a reminder of the separation between classes that existed in those days. With gold leaf covering everything from the gates to the window trimmings it's a sight to behold.

The main building, The Royal Apartments, has been kept in excellent condition from the reign of Louis XVI with everything from the Chapel to the Dauphin's rooms able to be seen in all their glory. It also houses a collection of art with portraits of the royal family as well as a hall dedicated to the military glories of the country. As this was where Napoleon lived after the revolution, he features prominently in a number of the pieces (must be short man syndrome).

Just as famous as the palace itself are the Gardens Of Versailles flowing out from the back of the main building. With sculptures and statues at every turn, fountains creating beautiful vistas and parkland and gardens of every imagining spread out over an enormous area. I could have easily spent a couple of days just wondering around them marvelling at the many and varied sights.

Further out in the gardens are the other two palaces that inhabit the grounds, The Grand Trianon and The Petite Trianon. Both with their individuality, the Grand Trianon was where Napoleon ended up living when he found out how much it would cost to redecorate the main palace, and used this palace as not only a residence but as a study and war chamber. The Petite Trianon was the royal family's country residence and became Marie Antoinette's abode, her escape from the rigours of court life. It includes a private music room in the garden as well as a vast English style garden and a hobby farm complete with mill and dairy house towards the back of the property.

The day was quite possible the most exhausting and the most relaxing I've had on this trip, having walked probably somewhere around 15 kilometres through the gardens. I can see why UNESCO didn't hesitate making it one of their World Heritage Sites.

"May all your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view...... where something strange and more beautiful and more full of wonder than your deepest dreams waits for you." - Edward Abbey


Additional photos below
Photos: 121, Displayed: 25


Advertisement



Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0249s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb