Day 19: Versailles


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Île-de-France » Versailles
September 16th 2008
Published: September 16th 2008
Edit Blog Post

The Chateau de Versailles is by far one of the most wonderful places I've ever been. The sheer size of the estate is incredible, and it's natural beauty is enchanting. The palace itself is rich, and has been able to keep an antique and very real feel to it, and it almost makes you believe you might see Marie-Antoinette around the next corner. Every ceiling is painted with fantastical stories, and scenes from battles, every room is graced with the busts of Kings, the walls are hung with silk, and everywhere you look is marble. Outside the palace, the gardens were planned with such precision that each area has a purpose; there's a grand canal where the King used to relax on the water, an outdoor ballroom, separate groves for each memeber of the royal family, fountains hiding where you least expect them, and a country estate within the very same property. The Grand Trianon was a separate palace within the Chateau de Versailles property with its very own entrance and gardens, (though on a smaller scale than the Chateau) and was where the King would spend his summers. Just next door to this palace was the Petit Trianon, better known as Marie-Antoinette's Estate, as it was her favorite place on the property to visit. This part of the property is home to Marie-Antoinette's English gardens, that house the Belvedere, a music pavilion, set on its own artificial island next to a giant man-made rock formation known as Le Roche (the Rock), and a small lake in which koi swim. It's such a peaceful place you can imagine the Queen and her courtiers spending their summers lying about on the lawn. Just past Petit Trianon, is my favorite part of the entire property, the Queen's Hamlet. Ordered by Marie-Antoinette, R. Mique built the Hamlet in 1783 as a place for the Queen and her children to enjoy "country amusements." Originally there were 12 cottages set around the Grand Lake that included the Refreshments Dairy and Marlborough Tower, Mill, Guard's House, Dovecote, Billiard Room, Queen's House, Boudoir, Warming Room (kitchen), and a small farm where the estate grew its own grapes for wine. Originally there had been a barn too, which was often used as a ballroom, but unfortunately it's no longer standing.

Presently, the farm is home to many animals, including sheep, goats, cows, one very large pot-belly pig, several donkeys, chicken, geese and rabbits, and bordering the Hamlet were beautiful horses out to pasture. Had I been her, I wouldn't have wanted to leave either.

By this point it was nearing 3, and it was time for us to head back to Paris. We still needed to finish packing so we could make our 8pm train to Barcelona. To give you an idea of the size of Versailles, we spent about 6 hours walking through it and only managed to see about half of it. I can't wait to go back again to see the rest of it!


Additional photos below
Photos: 31, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



Tot: 0.109s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0712s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb