Rainy and Cold at the Cemetery


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Île-de-France » Paris
April 19th 2013
Published: April 19th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Today the weather was a little bit colder than the last couple of days and it varied between sunny to rainy. That did not however dampen our efforts to continue our visit of Paris.

We started by heading to the Trocadero to once again see the Eiffel Tower and see if the line to climb was reasonable early in the morning. It had been quite short the afternoon of the day we arrived but I think that everyone has the idea to hit it up first thing in the morning. As it was quite long, we decided to try another time and just head towards the Cimetiere Pere Lachaise instead.

But first we stopped at the Au Rond de Point and had lunch of steak, fries and salad. I almost had to wear one home seeing that the waiter tripped carrying a steak plate for another client and the plate fell right on my shoulder and then fell to then shatter completely on the floor. We then topped off our meal with a delicious cafe creme.

Then it was off to explore the vast cemetery. Mom wanted to see the tomb of Jim Morrison and we managed to actually find it. It is not that easy to find as it is quite simple and relatively hidden. What tips you off is the fact that it is cordonned off and it does seem to attract a number of people. There are quite a few flowers and offerings. I do think that it is a shame that the plaque is not better maintained. It is in need of TLC.

We then made our way towards the tomb of Edith Piaf as well as Henri Salvador. We were also very touched by the number of monuments to honour the dead to the Nazi concentration camps. It was at that time that the skies opened up and it started to get quite cold. We were close to one of the exits so we decided to dart out and sit in a cafe, chat and enjoy another cafe creme to warm up.

After sitting for a couple of hours, we just headed back on the metro to go back to the hotel to warm up a bit. This of course also would include a stop for a baguette, a cheese from the Laurent Dubois Fromagerie and a bottle of wine. So now it is an evening of general laziness with some yummy food and wine ...


Additional photos below
Photos: 55, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.784s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 7; qc: 57; dbt: 0.3264s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb