Sunny Day in Montmartre ...


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Île-de-France » Paris
April 18th 2013
Published: April 18th 2013
Edit Blog Post

imageimageimage

View of the Eiffel Tower from the hotel
After an early bed time and a late rising (which means we went to bed at 9 pm and we woke up at 9:35 am!!), we were definitely rid of jet lag. We took our time getting ready and then slowly headed out to grab the subway. We made a wrong turn and ended up discovering the streets around the hotel.

Our first stop would be the Charles de Gaulle - Etoile subway stop to go see the Arc de Triomphe. Having been to Washington Square Park in New York, my mom had a notion of what the Arc would be like. She of course was quite surprised to see how much bigger it was. We definitely took our time just enjoying the surroundings and the beautiful Parisian sun.

We then headed to the subway station but first we would be entertained by a number of street dancers doing some breakdancing. And then on to Montmartre it was!

We of course stopped in to a few souvenir shops as we made our up towards Sacre Coeur. It was at that time that we decided that maybe lunch was in order before hitting the hilly streets of Montmarte. We found a great little cafe where mom enjoyed a margharita pizza and I had this delicious savoury crepe. Of course that was accompanied by a lovely red wine! We ended up spending a couple of hours just enjoying our meal which was also topped off my a yummy espresso.

From there we headed towards the funicular to head up to Sacre Coeur. Mom was quite taken with the view from up there. We made our way inside the cathedral where we sat for a little while to take in the surroundings. And then we made our way through some of the little cobblestone streets of Montmartre poking our nose into little shops and succumbing to a couple of temptations (read ... macarons!).

As we winded down the streets of Montmartre, we ended up beside the Moulin Rouge. At that point, our feet were a little tired and so we hopped on the subway and made our way to the hotel. We probably spent more time sitting in that cafe then going through the streets of Montmartre so we made a note to come back to explore a bit more.

And no day is complete without a stop at the M. et Mme Rouiller Bakery for a milles feuilles for me and an eclair for my mom.


Additional photos below
Photos: 72, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.044s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0226s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb