Louvre


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Île-de-France » Paris
July 23rd 2012
Published: July 23rd 2012
Edit Blog Post

Napoleon's TombNapoleon's TombNapoleon's Tomb

I guess if you are face up for the rest of days, you might as well be looking at this.
The alarm rang at 6:00 am. Even though we were to bed early, I felt like I was playing wake the dead.

After a refreshing shower and some getting it together, we headed out for breakfast at Zinc, recommended by Jordan. The chef was not anywhere to be found so the omlettes were off the menu, but the butter fresh croissants did the trick.

Close to the Metro, we purchased tickets and took the number 8 to the Louvre. We chose to walk along the gardens instead of switching trains and got to see the temporary fencing, remants of the previous day's Tour de France. The park featured a ferris wheel and other small rides but nothing was open that early in the day.

We had planned to purchase a Museum Pass, but that didn't happen so we got in line at the Louvre by the pyarmid. We were advised at the hotel to enter by the Carousel, but without any signage, we missed the two openings to the underground staircase. The line was quick and staff pointed us to the multi-museum, multi-day pass that we will use the rest of the week.

Glenn had pre-picked the
LouvreLouvreLouvre

One of our favourites.
highlights of the museum and we made it to most of them. The crowds in the main areas were dreadful, but the galleries were easily accessible and quiet. Highlights for me was Cardinal Richeleau, which is both beautiful and slightly sinister at the same time. Glenn enjoyed the Vermeer - there aren't many in the world so it was a popular stop.

We cruised the shops on the way out and picked up some gourmet tea and chocolates. We strolled through the gardens, but stuck to the shady areas as it was nearing a very sunny noon time. Not too far away was Hermes. I picked out a beautiful scarf - my birthday present! Up the road a little more was a truffle shop, but it was closed without much explanation except that it was Monday.

We went to the hotel d'Invalides to see Napoleon's tomb. It's bigger than you think.

More meadering lead us to Carrefour, a grocery store where you can acquire wine for under four Euros and smoked ham flavoured chips. All this made me thirsty so we returned to Zinc for Kronenbourg. Then I was tired - nap time.

Dinner: Le Florimonde,
Mmmmm....Mmmmm....Mmmmm....

Not sure how to describe this one.
recommended by Rick and Bev
Entrees: Terrine de jarret de veau aux blette
Rivioles de homard, brunoise de legumes

Plats: Rable et saucisse de lapin, pommes de terre rattes fumees, jus au thym citron
Confi de cuisse de canard de Correze, pommes de terre miettes

Dessert: Quenelle de chocolat noir, framboises et crousty cacao-earl grey
Creme brulee chocolat blanc et vanille bourbon

Manifique


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Tight fit.Tight fit.
Tight fit.

Certainly a creative culture...


Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0363s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb