Paris le Marais afternoon, and a little taste of chocolat


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Île-de-France » Paris
November 4th 2008
Published: November 23rd 2008
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: passing the Eiffel Tower in a cab 18 secs
This won't be an interesting blog entry. No adventure, no history. It's only a snippet of Paris, just in case any one is as enamored with this city as I have become. Actually, this entry is just for me. Once we return home, this blog will be a way for me to recall the things we have seen and done while living in Europe...

From the town of Versailles, we catch a cab back into the city. We would be leaving bright and early the next morning, so we are off to see what we can in the district of Marais.


...fasionable, jewish, trendy, bourgeois, gay and eccentric.
Marais is all of this.
Not to mention that most of the shops were open on this Sunday afternoon, our last chance to shop in Paris. No educational tours today, we were shopping. We wandered down the narrow streets, and were amazed at the creative window displays.

Chocolate was calling us to the Paris Expo, way across town! The "Salon du Chocolat" was closing later this evening, and we took what turned out to be, the slowest cab ride ever! The traffic was so bad, that Kate and I finally looked at each other and said "we're walking!" The center was in sight so we weren't being that adventurous! But the crowds took us by surprise! The line was long and not moving. We ran up the side steps to see what we could, and finaggled our way in. The exihibition was packed, and the experience wasn't what I had hoped for, but it was in Paris, and it was all about chocolate!
This exhibition will be on 3 continents during the year. Not just chocolate candy for sale. Demonstrations of cooking and sculpture. Fashion shows, where the dresses are made of the chocolate! Graffiti artists using - chocolate spray. Drinks made of chocolate, books written about chocolate, songs and performances all inspired by chocolate!

Tastes of chocolate from all over the world, and people from all walks of life were here. Great people watching venue, it was just so crowded you couldn't stir them with a stick!

We left with our chocoate souvenirs, and took the metro back to the 6th. Back to the corner cafe, Les Deux Magots for a nice long supper, and more people watching.



Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

street in Maraisstreet in Marais
street in Marais

(I know this guy was getting great photos, his camera was much bigger than mine!)
rent a bike  rent a bike
rent a bike

(I'm happy to report that Krakow now has their version of this public service!)
chocolate candy creationchocolate candy creation
chocolate candy creation

at the Salon du Chocolat
a cacao bean, where our chocolate beginsa cacao bean, where our chocolate begins
a cacao bean, where our chocolate begins

(maybe this visit is educational)


1st December 2008

Fab
Hi, Steph/Pete, Always enjoy your blogs! We, too, loved Paris, and we did not even see the chocolate side. Merry Christmas! Brenda

Tot: 0.219s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 28; qc: 139; dbt: 0.1503s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb