Paris


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Île-de-France » Paris
June 22nd 2006
Published: November 14th 2006
Edit Blog Post

The River SeineThe River SeineThe River Seine

near the Louvre
The Basilique du Sacre Coeur (Basilica of the Sacred Heart) is located at the summit of the Montmartre butte - the only hill in Paris, and the highest point in the city. Paris is a flat city - no hills except this one. From the top you look out over the city and it's amazing.

The actual church is amazing too - breathtakingly beautiful on the inside (again no photos unfortunately). Not being Catholic, it is still an awesome experince walking into the place. You really feel a sense of peace - I still believe that no matter what religion you belong to, if any, when you walk into a place of worship, there is a serenity...

That evening we went to see the Eiffel Tower - the Parisian icon you simply cannot go to France and not see. And what a spectacular sight!!! The Eiffel Tower was built for the International Exhibition of Paris in 1889 marking the centennial celebration of the French Revolution. It was built as a temporary structure, but due to its popularity, it still remains standing today. It stands 300m tall and you have to take an elevator to the top.

The view
The Sacre CoeurThe Sacre CoeurThe Sacre Coeur

The steps leading up to the church have become a meeting point, there is a carnival like atmosphere... There are people creating music on their percussion instruments, there are young lovers picnicking on wine and cheese, there are tourists admiring the view... It is quite a cultural congregation
from the top is awesome too. Unfortunately it started raining when Foo and I were up there, so visibility was reduced, but still you could see for miles...

What an amazing last night in the city of love...

Next stop... Lauterbrunnen, Swirzerland


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

view from the top of the Eiffel Towerview from the top of the Eiffel Tower
view from the top of the Eiffel Tower

... imagine how amazing it would be on a clear day...
............
......

I like this photo so thought I'd share :)
Gateaux, s'il vous plait?Gateaux, s'il vous plait?
Gateaux, s'il vous plait?

Ok, so my French isn't great... However, the French are reknowned for their sweets for very very very good reason.... mmmm, my mouth is watering now!


11th July 2007

Thanks
Thanks for sharing your great pictures and journal as we are in the final stages of preparation for our trip to France. You helped us solidify some of our sightseeing plans.

Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0528s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb