Heading 300+ miles south by Toll road


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Champagne-Ardenne » Langres
September 3rd 2013
Published: September 4th 2013
Edit Blog Post

03/09/2013 Heading 300+ miles south by Toll road

Up and away early as a long way to travel today.

As we needed to put some miles behind us we had decided to use the motorways and on this particular route, toll roads. We generally avoid a full day of motorways but sometimes it is the only option.

We crossed back into France from Belgium after 20 minutes. The early morning, slightly autumnal, mist cleared to another perfect summer’s day and we hit the motorway. Very busy at first, 3 lanes nose to tail until we were past the turn to Paris and from then it was plain sailing all the way. Only went wrong once when Tandy swung onto the wrong exit road at a junction and took the motorway north instead of south. Cost us €2.20 in extra tolls but we managed to get back onto the motorway travelling in the right direction.

No photos of the drive, not a one, as it is almost impossible to snap anything worth snapping from a motorway especially when driving through a rather flat and very rural landscape, however pretty it looks from the Tandy’s cab.

We only stopped for rest breaks and lunch and as usual bemoaned the absence of the superb French Aires system on English roads. So good to be able to pull off the road in a quiet, pleasant spot, make and eat lunch in the Tandy and then get on our way again.

I missed a few stretches of the drive entirely as motorways are guaranteed to send me to sleep and today they did just that. I had brought a few sets of broken beads with me and I restrung them as we drove along, then I took the broken zip out of a skirt ready to replace it and then, work done, fell asleep ! I woke up just in time to pay the final toll as we pulled off the motorway and headed for the campsite close by.

We arrived at our very nice campsite, Le Lac de la Liez, at Peigney, near to Langres, late afternoon and nicely in time for a swim in the pool. Dinner was eaten outside with a view of the lake below and then a stroll down to the lake. Another beautiful evening. Long may this lovely weather last.

I failed to pick up any free wifi so this blog will have to wait until tomorrow to hit the internet.

Another quite long drive tomorrow, again going due south, but not quite as far as today. The landscape will be far more interesting and we will be avoiding motorways so hopefully I will be able to stay awake and admire the scenery.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 14; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0493s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb