Brehat Island - Discovery of Bretagne


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Brittany
August 27th 2008
Published: October 25th 2008
Edit Blog Post

This morning we decided to follow Monsieur & Madam --- who were heading to a little island which is located near Paimpol. As usual we left La Lande around 10am, in order to catch a ferry on time, which may give us a considerable amount of time to enjoy walking around the island. Everyone seemed positive expecting a beautiful weather, so did I.

It was raining as if Monsoon rain hit this area. I am disappointed after having a look at the sky. It was dark and threatening to rain more and more. We wondered around while thinking about a need for an umbrella. Do we need an umbrella? No, let's get wet!

We got tickets to get into the boat which was waiting to take us to the Island.

Buried underneath the camellias, hydrangeas and little houses made of pink granite, bike paths in the middle of valleys of heather, and its tiny, pleasant little creeks, all draw a scenic picture in our mind. This tiny Island is called Bréhat. Bréhat is actually two islands that are joined together. The southern part is like the Mediterranean, with its luscious vegetation. The northern part is like Ireland with the rough sea as a backdrop. There are about a dozen of lighthouses in the every corners of the island.

As soon as we landed other side of the water, the sky opens up again. It began to rain mercilessly on us. We went to a local creperie to sit & have lunch. At the time, it was full of people taking cover from the heavy rain. We were cornered in between two families. We silently ate our lunch while sighing. There is no sign of cease of rain. Despite heavy rain, we decided to visit the island by walk. We could have taken hired bicycles but we didn't. Both Madame & Monsieur --- agreed to meet us near the restaurant where we had our lunch. We only had less than four hours to visit the entire island. I was told that Madame & Monsieur --- are on a mission to buy ten plants of agapante. Why do they have to buy them? We could get a couple of plants easily without bothering anyone. These plants are abundant all over the island.

Anyway, that is bad of me. I did not want to commit another crime here. I let them go. We took our our soggy route map in two.

We managed to visit some of the interesting places in the southern part of the island which took well over two hours. We hurriedly walked to visit the other part of the island. The rain has stopped and it began to get warmer than before. Half way through, we decided to go back to our meeting point despite there was a utter desperation to see must see lighthouse!

Monsieur & Madame --- appeared very happy. They were carrying two bags full of plants. We rushed back to the port because there was a boat taking people back to the mainland. We were unlucky to have missed it in less than thirty meters.

We sat by the port and waited for the next one. One was sea fishing, other two lazily sat by the shore and eating chocolate. The one who is with camera in hand, walking over the rocks.

Thank god, the sky remained blue and the sun was brightly shining.

When we got back to Little Paradise, it was dark.


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement



Tot: 0.141s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 28; dbt: 0.1035s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb