Cycling, hail and medieval warfare!


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Aquitaine » Dordogne
September 19th 2009
Published: September 27th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Success! We managed to go cycling. We ended up hiring the bikes through an English company who are based in the Dordogne. This proved to be very useful as they could obviously speak English. We looked like proper cyclists as we had panniers and a map in a special holder. We ended up cycling about 30km and although it was all on the road it was so quiet that we barely saw any cars.

We tried to limit the number of times we hummed the 'Allo, 'Allo theme tune as we cycled along.. We ended up climbing quite high (but in a slow gradual way) which meant we got a very long downhill section which was a lot of fun.


Friday turned into a very wet day. We had planned to visit some gardens but the weather put pay to that. We did go for a little drive and looked around a few villages we had been meaning to visit all week. We were true Brits and had a picnic in our car!

By the time we were back at the cottage it was thundering and lightning. Then there was a huge hail storm. The hail was massive, some of the biggest I have ever seen!


Today we had to leave but as we had afternoon flight we had time to visit Château de Castelnaud on the way. There are lots of châteaux in this area. This was a really good one. It had lots of medieval weapons on display. They were mainly for catapulting or firing things at the enemy. One which sticks in my mind was so powerful that the arrows passed through 3 men and a horse before they stopped!



Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Our picnic spotOur picnic spot
Our picnic spot

Shame about the weather


Tot: 0.158s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 17; qc: 79; dbt: 0.1101s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb