Background: Although ultimately a victor in World Wars I and II, France suffered extensive losses in its empire, wealth, manpower, and rank as a dominant nation-state. Nevertheless, France today is one of the most modern countries in the world and is a leader among European nations. Since 1958, it has constructed a presidential democracy resistant to the instabilities experienced in earlier parliamentary democracies. In recent years, its reconciliation and cooperation with Germany have proved central to the economic integration of Europe, including the introduction of a common exchange currency, the euro, in January 1999. At present, France is at the forefront of efforts to develop the EU's military capabilities to supplement progress toward an EU foreign policy.
Photos from Colmar
Blogs from Colmar
Latest Blogs from Colmar
- July 23rd 2012 Colmar, France
by Words: 117 Photos: 8
- June 10th 2012 France 33 - an ecomuseum and a stork with a problem bottom
by Words: 1477 Photos: 7
- June 10th 2012 France 34 - Colmar and a noisy night on the campsite
by Words: 1142 Photos: 5
- March 13th 2012 Some more great teaching experience
by Words: 504 Photos: 0
- February 28th 2012 I no speaken zhe Deuscht...
by Words: 865 Photos: 8
- September 20th 2010 half timber-timber everywhere -Delemont to Colmar- 20-21 Sept.
by Words: 1129 Photos: 14
- August 29th 2010 Colmar, France
by Words: 1384 Photos: 8
- June 5th 2010 Colmar - eine schoene Stadt
by Words: 7 Photos: 125
- October 6th 2009 Day Three France - Colmar
by Words: 403 Photos: 15
- September 23rd 2009 Alsace: the land of half-timbered cuteness overload (Colmar, Strasbourg, Eguisheim, Kaysersberg, Riquewihr, Hunawihr, & Ribeauville)
by Words: 3086 Photos: 212
- August 2nd 2009 Breakfast in Colmar
by Words: 641 Photos: 7
- July 26th 2009 Colmar...the sun is back in Alsace!
by Words: 607 Photos: 19
- April 22nd 2009 The grape vineyard
by Words: 421 Photos: 6
- February 8th 2009 Uimista ja ulkomaanreissu
by Words: 869 Photos: 16
- December 26th 2008 Colmar
by Words: 236 Photos: 2
- August 29th 2007 I Live to Eat My Words
by Words: 755 Photos: 9
- August 7th 2007 France: The Alsace and Burgundy Wine Regions..who's thirsty????
by Words: 268 Photos: 20
- December 21st 2006 Noel '06 Europe Tour 2: Départ
by Words: 12 Photos: 6