Biking in Helsinki


Advertisement
Finland's flag
Europe » Finland
July 23rd 2008
Published: July 23rd 2008
Edit Blog Post

Heading back towards home, we finally claimed back one of the three hours that we have lost so far. After a couple of hectic days touring in Russia we had a relaxing morning on the sun deck making the most of the blue skies and sunshine. After lunch we went off on our cycling tour of Helsinki. The trip was on Finnish design Jopo bikes - single speed and pedal brakes with a basket on the front, and we were all kitted out in regulation helmets and high visibility vests. At least both alex and I managed to avoid the pink bike! Mine was red and looked a bit like a postman’s bike. Our route took us anti-clockwise along the penisula of Helsinki. The beaches were packed with locals making the most of the little sunshine they get. Our first stop was a monument for a Finnish composer - made of metallic hollow tubes. The Olympic stadium was our next landmark originally built for the 1938 games but because of the second world war they didn’t get to host until 1952. Onto the Opera house, and the Helsinki amusement park before stopping in at Baltic square to see the cathedral - yet more gold domes and newly replaced so much shinier than those in St Petersburg. Eventually we came round full circle, viewing the sea fortress. Along one beachside were lots of rugs hanging to dry, apparently its traditional for Fins to wash their rugs in the sea and they then hang them on these wooden rails to dry….today was obviously a good day for rug washing!

Not a great photo day, but a few snaps from our brief stops and a couple from the hip as I was riding along!!



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.243s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0528s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb