Helsinki Afternoon


Advertisement
Finland's flag
Europe » Finland » Uusimaa » Helsinki
November 7th 2009
Published: November 10th 2009
Edit Blog Post



Arrived at the Viking Line Dock and with all the other passengers walked off and headed towards the tram. Luckily a woman who spoke english and was sitting close to where I was standing was also going to the train station. We walked together to a most impressive facade. The Staion inside is not overly large. The signs showing baggage storage are clear. Decide against giving it to the man and opt for a locker. That this was a wise choice will be understood later.

Wandered down the main drag ...Mannerheiminte towards Pohjoisesplanadi. Turned left here and looked for the City Museum.

Along the way walked past a lovely restaurant in a glass conservatory in the style of victorian times. Such a pleasant surprise and across the street, past the shut off fountain tables covered in tarp guaranteeing a temp of 18 degrees in which to partake of your snack were set up ready for customers. This tarp tent was the precursor for other stalls that sell furs, souvenirs, potatoes and roots, knitted socks for 15 euros with amazing patterns, flowers and spruce wreaths and balls.

I did tear myself away from this mumble jumble of
The MariellaThe MariellaThe Mariella

See deck 2: See where my cabin was: See deck 7 that's where conference goers drank champagne.
wares without making any major purchases. Bought a patch with a white cross on a blue field to go with the other two patches with crosses for Norway red on blue and Sweden yellow on blue. Did check out the prices for fur hats ... $250 for a seal hat with fox trim?? ... can I get this into Canada?

Made it to the City Museum and enjoyed wallking around reading all the info ... IN ENGLISH ... It told of the plight of the people first under Swedish rule and then russian domination. The numerous fires and the move from wood buildings to granite was sited. The granite around Helsinki is of the oldest stone on Earth.

The imprtance of the coming of the potato to Sweden was mentioned as happening in the 1700 when a soldier returning from the Great War brought a potato home in a snuff box.

Nationalism took a strong turn towards Finn identity when in 1935 those with Swedish names changed to Finn sounding ones. Again during WWII Helsinki suffered devastating bomb raids.

The Olympic Games which were tohave been held before the war were now scheduled for 1952. Helsinki showed itself proud. In this period more industrialization occured and manufactured goods were produced in greater abundance.

This is nly one of many branches of the Helsinki City Museum. Look forward to seeing the rest when I return in December.

Started to walk back to the train station to catch the 7A tram to the Stadion Hostel. On the way entered the Evangelical Lutheran Cathedral at the top of a huge flight of steps.

Down the steps again I pass a pile of snow! I went into Stockmans Department store to use ...what else? ... the toilet. This must be only one in the whole place ... either that or it is the only free one because there is a long lineup.

Once done I see the Deli section so have a sandwich and a hot chocolate ... I am of Finn coffee!

And now for the second time this afternoon I am paying 2.50 euros for a tram ride ...that's $3.75 a ride. The tram takes me to the Stadium Hostel for the night. I have half a sandwich left and a couple of candies.
Staying here for a longer period would be trying. It is a very big hostel and even at 20euros/night there would be too many potential people in a room for a longer stay. The lockers are too small for a regular backpack. There is a nice big table in the middle of the room with chairs all around. Toilet and shower too far down the hall and Number 20 was the closest. The place has been a hostel since 1962. The kitchen looked very clean. The breakfast room looks good. The sheets are crisp. The towel is big, a bright white and fluffy.

I have a lower bunk and there are only two other girls in the space set up for eight. I do take a shower and sleep in my long johns.

Get up at 05:00 in the Stadiom Hostel in Helsinki.

Gather my things by the light of my headlamp.

The tram does not start until 07:30 because it is Sunday. A taxi is called and I am at the station by 06:15 having paid 12.50 euros for the taxi = $18.65.

Get my pack out of the 4euro locker ... watch the overnight sleepers on the ground (there are no
Evangelical Lutheran ChurchEvangelical Lutheran ChurchEvangelical Lutheran Church

Martin Luther is a statue in side the church. Two other reformers are statued ... the church jnside is stark.
benches in this station!), avoid the hanger abouters, buy my breakfast (long ham and cheese sandwich and orange juice ..around $10) and am ready to board the Sibelius Train when it arrives at 06:35.

First class is VERY quiet.Only a mother and her little kid and me and we are in two adjacent six seat compartments. Walk thru the other rail cars on the way to the restaurant car. Things don't look so bad. Probably not as pleasant at times when the place is jammed with people.

Lots of announcements in Finn, Russian and english. The train rolled as much as it stood still. There is a one hour ahead adjustment to the clocks. The train left Helsinki at 07:00 and arrived in St.Petersburg at 14:00. The express stopped at alot of towns. The passport business took almost an hour ... have to check the distance ... it does not look far on the map.

Get out ... finally find the driver who speaks no english but is holding up my name on a piece of cardboard and we are off to Kasanskaya ul.16 The sight of the first onion domed church portends things to come.


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

The Main Square in Helsinki The Main Square in Helsinki
The Main Square in Helsinki

View from the top of the stairs that lead to the Church
The Arabia Ceramic FactoryThe Arabia Ceramic Factory
The Arabia Ceramic Factory

One bus line has Arabia as the destination ... jumped to conclusions and thought it meant inhabitants. Learned that the Arabia Ceramic Factory has been in Helsinki since forever.
Found Clothes PinsFound Clothes Pins
Found Clothes Pins

Have seen little laundry on this trip ... could be because everyone has a dryer?
Four  Guys Four  Guys
Four Guys

These figures are impressive reps for the Finn Railroad .. . there are two more on the other side of the entrance,
Unexpected Market DiscoveryUnexpected Market Discovery
Unexpected Market Discovery

Lots of unwashed roots.
HelloHello
Hello

Have seen a lot pf good looking men!


11th November 2009

Hello Barbara, Ron and I travelled by cruise ship on a similar journey in May/June 2007,with ports of call:-,Copenhagen, Stockholm, Oslo, Gadanze, Talin , Helsinki and St. Petersburg, so it's a treat to view your photos and read your comments on each leg of your trip. Enjoy, and take care of yourself. Ann and Ron

Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0409s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb