Day in Oulu FINLAND


Advertisement
Finland's flag
Europe » Finland » Northern Ostrobothnia » Oulu
July 9th 2010
Published: July 9th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Oulu wooden buildingsOulu wooden buildingsOulu wooden buildings

in the harbour
Today is our opportunity to see a real Finnish town as we only have one more day before leaving Finland and returning to Sweden.
Bob unloaded the scooter from the garage and after making the trek to the showers and also reporting the non-working wifi to reception again we scootered into Oulo. I wanted to take the easy route, the cyclist path, but Bob, understandably refused and we went the long way round on the dual carriageway.
Not hot today like yesterday but ok and the bit of rain which fell during the day was not a problem.
Not a lot to see in Oulu but pleasant for a bit of sightseeing and a good chance to see more ‘Finland’.
Visited the cathedral and then found our way down to the waterfront. This is quite a modern city but there are some traditional wooden buildings down on the harbour which are now bars and designer shops (same idea as Gloucester Docks I thought). We explored a marquee which proved to be a food festival and bought a delicious plate of smoked salmon and potato salad which made an excellent snack lunch. There was also a market which was selling some wonderful
MeMeMe

and my coffee
dark red strawberries so bought some of those but managed to resist the other lovely food for sale everywhere, small whitebait type fish and salmon in particular.
Wanted to buy a lovely green knitted, felted hat for Jenny but it was €42 so didn’t !
We then had a wander round the shops in the pedestrian area which seem to sell most things at rather inflated prices (A small Iggle Piggle was priced at €14.90 !).
Had a coffee so we could ‘people watch’ for a while as this is an excellent place to do this. Never seen so many bicycles - this city is positively designed for the cyclists, Finland being mainly ‘flat’. But not just cyclists, lots of other modes of transport, roller-blades, skate-boards and a few scooters as well. Loved the sight of a cyclist peddling along with one hand holding her umbrella and the other her mobile phone !
Returned to the campsite mid-afternoon for a few more mossie bites especially for Bob who attempted to fix the wiring problem (a bunch of wires dropped down from under the dash board just before the reversing camera stopped working and the airbag warning light came on !).
StrawberryStrawberryStrawberry

Finnish and delicious

In order to put this blog onto the internet I will have to walk up to reception as the ‘free site-wide wifi’ (haha) is oh so frustratingly pretending to work but isn’t.



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

SalmonSalmon
Salmon

as big you have ever seen in Oulu market hall
oh dearoh dear
oh dear

for sale in Oulu market, decided not to buy it !


Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 32; dbt: 0.0441s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb