Medieval Tallinn


Advertisement
Estonia's flag
Europe » Estonia » Tallinn
April 7th 2013
Published: December 31st 2013
Edit Blog Post

Sunday- 7 AM- We boarded the S.S. Superstar (actual name of our ship) very early Sunday morning for our day trip into Estonia, the 5th country on our trip in just over a week!

The entire old town of Tallinn is a UNESCO world heritage site and is one of the best preserved medieval cities in Europe. Walking through the gates of the old town transports you back in time. The cobbled streets and multitude of guild houses, merchant halls, and churches tell the story of a city that has been conquered many times but never destroyed. We began our walking tour with our local guide.

She pointed out quirky details in local architecture and strange stories of traditions and people of Estonia’s long history. A large group of us ate lunch in a traditional Estonian restaurant, located in a painstakingly restored Medieval merchant’s home.

After lunch, students were on their own to visit the cities monuments, churches, and museums. Some students rented segues, others wondered the cobbled streets, and shopped for locally made Estonian knitwear.

We played dice games and cards on our way back to Helsinki in late afternoon.

Back in Helsinki, we had a meal of meatballs, mashed potatoes and lingenberry sauce before heading out for Mocktails at the Hard Rock cafe to reflect and relax on our final evening in Helsinki.

Monday 11AM- Some students are upstairs packing and others are just returning from a bit of last minute shopping. Our flight to Iceland, then Toronto leaves this afternoon. It’s hard to believe that only a week and a half ago we were packing our bags to head to Europe. This ambitious and whirlwind tour of Europe’s North was an experience of a lifetime, and makes Regina feel like a very distant memory. Oh well, back to reality. Midterm exams here we come!


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.263s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 19; qc: 90; dbt: 0.1251s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb