Day 2: A Tour of Tallinn


Advertisement
Estonia's flag
Europe » Estonia » Tallinn
June 30th 2012
Published: June 30th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Slept through the alarm this morning, waking up over an hour later. But, after a leisurely breakfast, left the hotel at 09h45 and headed into town.

Walked to Freedom Square and up to Toompea Hill, stopping quickly at the Cathedral and Parliament building before joining the cruise ship clients at the Patkull Viewing Platform. Descended to the Town Hall via the steps and went off to buy a Tallinn Card.

Back in the main square, immediately used the card and went up the Town Hall Tower. The rather narrow, steep and dark stone spiral staircase was interesting but the views from the top were incredible - even to one afraid of heights!

I then went off to lunch at the Kiek in de Kok, before heading off to the Hotel Viru to join an official sightseeing tour at 13h20, courtesy of the card.

The local guide was already waiting at the bus stop and, once my card had been swiped, we all set off around the town by bus.

Heading up through the Kadriorg Park and into Pirita, we stopped at the Singing Festival Arena and Olympic Village - ironically, the site of the Moscow Olympic
Alexander Nevsky CathedralAlexander Nevsky CathedralAlexander Nevsky Cathedral

Taken from the Kiek in de Kok
Sailing events, even though normal Estonians were not allowed boats!

After a walking tour of the old town, we finished at 15h30, after which I continued along the walls to Fat Margaret and the Maritime Museum, and the Marzipan Hall, claiming my free marzipan!

Returning to the hotel, the rains came though I was fortunate enough to be under cover long enough to miss them.

After tea, I once again headed into the old town to listen to the jazz - not for long though as it turned out to be anything but!


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.054s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb