An introduction to Estonia.


Advertisement
Estonia's flag
Europe » Estonia » Tallinn
May 26th 2008
Published: May 26th 2008
Edit Blog Post

The castle wallsThe castle wallsThe castle walls

A castle for a princess.
Carol says -
A lovely late start this morning saw us traipsing round the cobbled streets of Tallinn in our sensible flat shoes looking at the very many and wonderful sights in the company of a history undergraduate from Denmark. City walls are amazing as the pictures show. Tallinn was bathed in sunlight and overrun with Americans from the cruise ships in the harbour.
We errm were guests of the local education authority for an informative session on the education system. Like all countries Estonia has its problems as far as its education is concerned: 25% of the schools are Russian speaking as a legacy of Estonia's time as part of the Soviet Union. This is proving to perpetuate the divide between the ethnic Estonians and the Russians. Moving out of the medieval old town into the more modern commercial centre meant that we found much more reasonably priced lunches.
In the afternoon we were entertained at the Danish Cultural Institute (equivalent of the British Council). We were given a potted history Estonia's more recent past - including how real people were affected by being conscripted into the Russian Army and sent off to Siberia.
Dinner this evening was typically Italian!!

Gary says -
Its sunny here and lovin it! Hi Mai this is for you.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Some of the crew.Some of the crew.
Some of the crew.

Reece is clearly going to shove the camera down someones throat! Sarah looking lovely as always.


Tot: 0.119s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0832s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb