Denmark blog #1


Advertisement
Denmark's flag
Europe » Denmark » Region Midtjylland » Aarhus
August 17th 2013
Published: August 17th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Denmark blog #1 The morning of Tuesday, August 13th, the teams arrived at the airport to commence their long journey to Denmark. After 16 hours of airports and airplane rides, the teams finally arrived in Copenhagen. We then boarded a bus to Aarhus, where many games of cards were played and many naps were taken. 10 minutes away from the handball academy one of the bus' tires popped, and we were shortly transferred to a new bus. When we arrived everyone at the academy welcomed us; we were very excited to start our handball academy experience. For supper we enjoyed a delicious chicken dinner prepared by the gourmet chefs here at the academy. That night the girls teams had the opportunity to practice with German coach Jan Lucas. It's safe to say that after practice we hit the hay. (rhyme intended) Early thursday morning the u16 girls and u18 guys team practiced together with Mike and Taylor. Shortly after, both girls teams practiced with Danish coach Jakob. That night, both girls teams had games against Danish clubs. The U18 girls played at the academy while the U16 girls played at a local gym. The U16 girls had an eventful bus ride with Taylor facing the struggles of driving a strange van in a foreign country. First we had to rely on the kindness of strangers when a friendly man kindly showed us how to put the van in reverse. After realizing the van had virtually no gas, we rolled our way down to the nearest gas station. Despite being jet lagged and tired from the days events, both girls teams fought through it in their games and ended up learning a lot in their first experience playing against a European handball team. All teams have already learned a lot since being in Aarhus for even just a couple days. We can't wait to learn even more! Brenna, Jill Meyer, Kennedy, and Izzy As for the guys, we had a rough journey at the airports. Everything that could have gone wrong did. First of all, our flight to Toronto was moved to two hours later than intended. After arriving in Toronto, we all got food at Pearson airport in Toronto. There, we were again delayed 30 minutes. After getting into the plane, we couldn't take off and delayed another 30 minutes. Even though we made up most of the delayed time, another plane was in our arrival gate when we got to Copenhagen. And to top off the journey, our bus broke down just before arriving at the academy. Despite the hardships, we all got to the academy content. That night, we didn't have practice, so we walked around the campus and adjusted to our new surroundings. The next day (Wednesday), we had a practice with the U16 girls from 8:00 to 9:30am and another one from 11:30 to 1:00pm. Both were great practices with Mike and were focused upon offensive decisions and pick and rolls with the pivots. Since we were done for the day, the guys went to downtown Arhus for the afternoon. There, we spent close to 3 hours walking around and looking at the beautiful scenery and women. We are looking forward to the up coming games and practices with the academy!
Sent from my iPad


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.106s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 9; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0623s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb