Music and rides


Advertisement
Denmark's flag
Europe » Denmark » Region Hovedstaden » Copenhagen
July 24th 2013
Published: July 28th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Vor Frue KirkeVor Frue KirkeVor Frue Kirke

The church we sang in in København
Began this morning a little later than usual - with breakfast at 8 and our concert at 10, it was worth sleeping in as late as possible, especially given that our room at the hostel overlooks the (rather noisy) street - people gather out there to smoke, chat, and just generally be noisy when staggering back from bars at 3 in the morning and such. We sang a concert at Vor Frue Kirke (which I believe is Danish for the church of Our Lady... Which seems odd for a Lutheran church, which apparently this was, but I'm guessing it probably has a longer history and that the name is a remnant of that) at noon. The acoustic was incredible. The sound lingered audibly for a stunning amount of time before dissipating, and I sincerely hope that the video that was taken does it justice.

The church itself would say is Scandinavia at its core - very Classical, almost Baroque, but without all the ostentation that you get from the Baroque and Roccocco movements further south. The baptismal font was a stunning statue of an angel, and underneath the church was a small undercroft showing ruins from various stages - apparently
TivoliTivoliTivoli

"Swings of the Century" type ride - that goes up 80 metres.
the church has burnt/been destroyed any number of times and had to be rebuilt several times. I would have to do some research to sort out when the current iteration was built.

The afternoon was spent at Tivoli, the second oldest amusement park in the world. It was beautiful. It combined the best of two worlds - pleasure garden and amusement park. When you enter, you're greeted with a lush, tree-lined avenue and hanging baskets with almost an Oriental flair. The buildings have a bit if an orientalist bent to them, with be vaguely resembling an Indian palace. There was even a peacock wandering around the gardens.

Only went on two rides - they have a Swing of the Century-esque ride that takes you up 80 meters above the city, giving you wonderful panoramic views. I wish there had been a way to take a camera up, but I wasn't brave enough to smuggle one onto the ride, unlike some other folks on the trip. The second ride was the Ferris wheel, which, although not particularly high, actually moved a lot faster than most other Ferris wheels I've ever been on.

Although it wasn't the last night of the tour, it was the last night we were going to have "free" so we had our farewell dinner at a fancier hotel near to our hostel. It was a lovely three course meal with lots of fresh fish, veal, etc., and the windows sort of looked out over the harbour and the opera house.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.108s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0665s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb