Denmark at Last


Advertisement
Denmark's flag
Europe » Denmark » Region Hovedstaden » Copenhagen
July 15th 2007
Published: August 7th 2007
Edit Blog Post

We arrived at the Copenhagen airport at 7:30 AM Denmark time. The Continental Airlines crew was professional and friendly, and our pilots even got us there a bit ahead of schedule. After collecting our baggage, we bought tickets for the 15 minute train ride into the central part of the city. They had a train station in the airport. What a novel idea! I hope that happens at Dulles someday…..

As a side note it is interesting to observe some of the alternative travel options and services available in other countries. We ran into one of the more interesting ones I have seen in the train station. The bathrooms had showers available and you could even buy a new pair of underwear in the there. That is definitely an interesting service for the weary traveler.

From the train station we rolled our suitcases to our hotel, The Square, located at the main plaza, Radhusplasden. Arriving at 9 AM we expected to just have the hotel lock up our baggage while we waited for check-in time. The friendly reception desk clerk greeted us, and informed us that they had a room ready for us, and then bonus! We were upgraded to a double executive room on top of that! It was so nice to be able to get situated and more importantly, get a shower!

After getting refreshed, we went on our first mission - have an actual Danish pastry! Found a great little place off the Stroget (a pedestrian shopping avenue) that also had great coffee. After that, we met up with Seth’s sister Wendy and her family at Tivoli Gardens, which is an amusement park. Makenna, our niece, went on four of the rides. The park also has beautiful gardens and a duck pond (formerly a moat). I can only imagine the wide variety of items the lawyers in the US would have a field day with in the park. This included a bouncing inflatable bouncing mat for children surrounded by a wooden deck (perhaps worse than any back yard trampoline I have seen).

Lunchtime was spent on the steps of city hall at the Radhusplasden watching a Native American “show” of sorts. We got a couple of sandwiches and some beer from the 7-11 (yes, they have 7-11s everywhere here!). All in all it was a very nice lunch.

For now, it is time
Cafe SignCafe SignCafe Sign

Basically means you can get a pastry there!
to get a little shut eye. We hope to hit a few more of the sites in Copenhagen in the morning before setting off to Malmo to see our wonderful friends for a couple of days. Zzzzzzzzz



Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

Seth & Vicki at TivoliSeth & Vicki at Tivoli
Seth & Vicki at Tivoli

With a nice view of City Hall in the background.
Church of ScientologyChurch of Scientology
Church of Scientology

The Copenhagen church was located just outside our hotel.


Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 8; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0473s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb