Terezin Concentration Camp


Advertisement
Czech Republic's flag
Europe » Czech Republic » Ústí nad Labem Region » Terezín
September 23rd 2008
Published: September 23rd 2008
Edit Blog Post

The count boardThe count boardThe count board

The board that counted how many prisoners were housed at a given time at the Terezin concentration camp.
On Sunday, we visited the Terezin concentration camp about an hour outside of Prague. I probably won't write much because you can imagine what happened there and I don't need to explain it.

It was a very heavy day of seeing the living quarters, showers (or what they called showers) and the camp itself. In between seeing the camp and walking over the museum where children drew pictures to keep their spirits high, we went for lunch and beer.

This camp was one of the smaller ones and I believe the guide said that nearly 100,000 people lost their lives in just a few years. Also, it was the one that the Red Cross was planning on checking out to find out what the Nazi's were doing. Unfortunately, the guards had a one year warning before the planned visit by the Red Cross so they got it into a show pattern to show nothing was going on in-humane. Movies were made about how the prisoners were "enjoying" their lives there. The prisioners were forced to "act" happy and healthy. So sad!

While we were outside of Prague hardly anyone spoke English and they could not understand what we
The practice crosses.The practice crosses.The practice crosses.

Our guide told us that the guards laid prisoners down in the crosses and "practiced" their shooting skills during WWII. They have no idea how many people died this way.
were asking for. So instead of ordering by words in the restaurant, we wrote down the numbers off the menu. Buffie ordered a baked potato because that is one of the few things that she saw without meat and they brought her fried potato skins! Ketchup is an extra cost.

More later...




Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Living quartersLiving quarters
Living quarters

The living quarters of up to 100 men at the Terezin concentration camp. They had several of these rooms. No beds, they slept on the wood.
CemetaryCemetary
Cemetary

The cemetary of prisoners after the war. The camp was quarintined for several months after the surrender of the Germans, but they could not leave because of the widespread diseases. There were hundreds of tomb stones.


Tot: 0.086s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0534s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb