Day 1 - Prague


Advertisement
Czech Republic's flag
Europe » Czech Republic » Prague
April 6th 2014
Published: April 18th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

From Central Europe with Love


Arrived in Prague Airport in the afternoon and took an Airport Express bus to the city centre. It's always fun to get lost for the first half an hour looking for the hostel. I wasted a large amount of credit calling the hostel for directions, which later turned out to be a blessing in disguise.



After a frustrating search, we finally found the hostel and settled into our rooms. After a brief look over of the map, we decided to make our way to the town centre. We walked there, with me snapping pictures like a typical tourist at everything that was anything. We past the municipal hall and the powder tower, which had me in awe with its grand facade. We were momentarily delayed when we saw an amazing performance from a street busker. (Check out the video)





We saw the astronomical clock, went up the old town hall and gazed in amazement at the interior of Church of St Nicholas. We also visited the Jewish Prague Museum and saw the Pinkas Synagogue, old Jewish cemetery, ceremonial hall, Klausen Synagogue and the Spanish Synagogue. It was a pity no photographs were allowed. The cemetery with its awkward tombstones jutting in various directions (Back in the days, the Jews did not have enough space to bury the dead so they were buried on top of each other up to 10 layers.) and the Spanish Synagogue were sights I hope to never forget. Ohhh and how could I forget Pinkas Synagogues. All Jews who perished during WWII had their names handwritten on the walls of the building. My heart went out to all those people who suffered with undue reason. It made me feel grateful that our world has progressed from that sort of backward thinking. Well, somewhat.





Managed to see everything within a few hours and so headed back to the hostel for something all 21st century people need: internet. Looked up places to eat and contacted family and friends.





Food

Lunch: Halušky from the easter market (YUM!!! but waaayyyy overpriced)

Dinner: Beef goulash with dumplings and desert in Tulsta Koala


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement



Tot: 0.173s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0554s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb