Auf wiedersehen Berlin


Advertisement
Czech Republic's flag
Europe » Czech Republic » Prague
January 20th 2014
Published: January 20th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Even as we were dragging our overpacked bags to each connecting tram and train, all of which taking us farther from our beloved home far away from home, I couldn't help but feel a bittersweet sting of equal parts excitement and nervousness as we continued on our journey. I really can't say enough good things about the city. It is very safe, the people are polite and trusted, it's easy to get around, and the people seem genuinely cared for in case something happens. Sure the people pay for it in taxes, but the government has setup programs to help each citizen deal with life's many tribulations, from the unforeseeable misfortunes to the inevitable end. You don't see poverty like you do in some of America's larger cities and nobody appears to be jobless and looking to take advantage. People are employed and happy until the time comes when they need care. That reminds me, since the last time we blogged, we volunteered at a government-funded facility that cares for the elderly, most of which are suffering from some form of dementia. We participated in dance night. It was adorable and very sweet. All of the people showed up with there caretaker or friend within the facility, had coffee or tea and a piece of pie, then danced the day away. We both had an incredible time engaging them with music and dancing and watching them blossom into happy and surprisingly energetic men and women. Definitely one of our favorite experiences so far. The next day was Sunday. Most of the city's businesses are closed this day but luckily for us, there was an incredible flee market that wasn't far. They have everything you'd want and you can haggle them quite a bit on the price. I wish we could have taken most of what we saw home with us. Unfortunately, we don't have the room for paintings or furniture in our bags, but we did manage to get some smaller keepsakes. The next day or so later, we decided to rent bikes and scour the streets! We discovered way more this way, I highly recommend it. We rode through Alexanderplatz, cruised through Kreuzberg and landed in Friedrichshain for what turned out to be the best Indian food we've ever had and a really good bloody mary. Afterwards, we headed to Prenzlauer berg for some drinks! We found a great rock bar hidden deep in the windy cobblestoned neighborhood. Something we never would've discovered on foot. Since it was our last few nights in Berlin, we went out the next night as well! We adventured around our immediate surroundings and found that the few blocks around our apartment are actually pretty lively at night. As the drinks set in, we fantasized about how we could live here permanently and what it would take to make it happen. After a sobering recovery the next day, we spent a quiet evening at the apartment and plotted our next moves. We got to Prague yesterday afternoon. Berlin has left some big shoes to fill but I have a feeling Prague has its own magic for us to experience.



Daryl for Jeryl



Chief editor Jess


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



20th January 2014

Jessie and Daryl: Yes !!!! You may be miles away from Home here , But You are always in Our Hearts and in our Prayers : God Speed , Saftey and Enjoy the Time and Love You have for each other. Love the Pictures thanks for sharing them with all of us back here in the desert of good old Arinona . Once again , Remember that You Both are Loved and Missed : GrandPa Blaine & Grandma Ella

Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0509s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb