Prague, Prague, all about Prague


Advertisement
Czech Republic's flag
Europe » Czech Republic » Prague
September 16th 2012
Published: September 16th 2012
Edit Blog Post

We started out the day with a city tour. We visited the Hradcany Castle and watched the changing of the guards. Just like in the movies with the arms swinging right up to the waist and back down again. They were suppposed to be stiff-eyed but one of them kept shifting their eyes. It was hilarious to watch what was supposed to be disciplined non-movement. If I was his Sargeant I would have put him on KP duty.

We went into a cathedral or two and on the way hit the Astronomical clock tower. We watched it strike 3PM and heard the trumpets go off. It was quite pleasing to watch.

The smells and vibes, and visuals of the Square were eclectic. We had old styled cars driving people around from the forties and fifties. Combined with the smell of the food hawkers peddling their diverse foods such as potatoe swirls on a stick, charcoal broiled old-fashioned hams spinning in pits, simultaneous weddings, street vendors, musicians and a host of other interestings visuals made for a vibrant atmosphere. Add to this the Architecture, with the ornate stone work, led to an afternoon of tantalizing senses being stimulated all at once!

We walked up and down streets afterward and when we got tired we stopped for Capos. We continued to weave in and out of shops until we finally made it back to our hotel. First impressions are that this city is diverse in its culture and people. The showcase areas are vast, but towards the edges of Prague the contrast was stark with buildings boarded up or in disrepair. I am sure that the rest of the city will eventually catch up to the city center.

We ended the day with a relaxed supper.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



16th September 2012

Swirled Potatoes
Oh my goodness, my mouth is watering! Delicious I bet! The fast-moving vehicle shot is amazing...love to you both!
17th September 2012

do not miss to visit the closed market in budapest (at the end of the pedestrian zone in pest). enjoy your trip.
17th September 2012

Yum!
could you bring me back a swirled potato?
18th December 2012

prague details plz
Hi! Could you share details of teh prague visit?... where did you stay? did you use a tour operator? any 'must-do'...'must-see' recommendations? is there any kind of local transportaion?- or do you just walk? is finding veggie food a real problem? Thanks in advance ! :)

Tot: 0.324s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 17; qc: 73; dbt: 0.0914s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb